Just a thought on the diamond of lecture 6

This is just my two cents and just a bit of talk about the diamond shape resolution.

My head, or my way of solving building things (I come from voxel building) would have never thought in Applying the rotation of an axis to the scaling properties of the object.

When you ask me to deliver a diamond, I would respond: “Just mix two triangles or two pyramids”.

And then I came to realize there were no triangles nor pyramids in the Add mesh section (yes, I looked at that).

Cutting objects or using booleans is where my head goes when asked for this sort of operations, this is why adding a rotation property (in this case applying) to get a different behaviour on the object was a bit weird to me. I know I need to adapt my head to this sort of operations, though.

I’d like to know how would we get two triangles, speaking of them! : )

1 Like

So, this is how my brain tends to work when asked for shapes:

1 Like

A good diamond tends to reflect the light in the opposite direction of the incoming light. That’s why its shaped in that way and shines as a diamond. Nothing to do with triangles, but more of economic perspective. To get the most diamonds from a diamond stone.

Blender is shipped with basic shapes, but it has more shapes. Just waiting to be activated by you! Even diamonds …
Open preferences for add-ons, and search for extra, select Add mesh: Extra objects.

There any many ways to work with a basic shape and make it as you see fit. You will learn this. Don’t think too mathematically about shapes (organic …). Think more in points and faces.
If you edit the cube and select a point (a vertex) and dissolves the vertex, by pressing Ctrl x. You can build a strange object even triangles!

Booleans look fun, but they can give you also a lot of problems!!

Just follow the course, learn the tools to manipulate vertices, edges, and faces. And all shapes are possible even the un logical ones.

Have fun, show us your progress. And welcome back.

2 Likes

The building blocks of many kids. Add color?

Thanks a lot for the insightful responses, I was just a bit confused, but I think it’s normal to be confused ^ ^; Indeed I will be following the course, it’s just a matter of readapting a bit the mind to get the most of this way of building.

1 Like

I’m now on the materials section, so color will come soon I guess :slight_smile:

Those kids building blocks I would need them for voxel scene prototyping in a voxel builder that needs some more basic shapes (that is, import the obj and voxelize), but the original obj I need them done in Blender : ) So I’ve put my hands on it ^ ^

1 Like

Some stairs, and color : )

3 Likes

Hope there’s a good reception up there, cause too many spiral staircases lead to doom!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms