Japanese traditional house

Thanks ! Hand painted textures would give an interesting result, but it takes a lot of time.

Here’s a quickly done dungeon crawler scene, using tiled square images that I draw a long ago for a personal project.

Each tile takes 2-3 hours to finish, so using a program could reduce a lot the workload.

2 Likes

@Svetlin_Balkanski I like the textures you created. And, you are correct, hand creating textures or, even altering existing textures can and do take time, sometimes a lot of time! :slight_smile: I tend to stick with photos or pre-made textures usually with alterations since I like a more realistic look for my creations plus, I am not great at drawing. :slight_smile:

If you are looking for photo-realistic textures for your house, you could see if http://www.textures.com/ or http://www.mayang.com/textures/ have anything you can use. Both offer free accounts for personal or commercial for textures you can use for your models. There are restrictions for use so be sure to read each of the licensing agreements.

@Stephen Thanks for the link to Texture Paint video. I really know nothing about texture painting so have put the video on my “morning over coffee” to do list!

P.S. Just watched the video for hand painting textures, was very informative. Not sure I have the skills for all the shading. The same Video Author also has one on photo realistic painting, which is also good. https://youtu.be/YNxmh5UVi08

2 Likes

Thanks for the links !

1 Like

Yeah. I like painting so I’m definitely more drawn to hand painting. I’m also not as drawn to realism in my games so it suits me.
I remember using a lot of pre-made textures and textures from photos back in the days when me and some friends would make Unreal Tournament maps. Tiling can sometimes be time consuming but ultimately a lot quicker at achieving great results. I often had a hard time disguising repeating patterns. They’d bug me too much for me to ignore them, and at the time a lot of games didn’t seem to mind if they had them.
Decals are great for breaking up repeating patterns now.

You definitely have to use seamless textures with great caution…some textures are done very well while others you can see they are tiled, especially if the camera view is further away. I have been using PixPlant, which is relatively inexpensive and doesn’t do a horrible job usually…it has it’s moments though, to create seamless textures. It is easier and much quicker to use than trying to mess with it in Photoshop or Gimp by hand. The other plus is it creates nice bump, normal, specular and dispacement map, which at the time I had only purchased the product for helping create seamless textures so has become a win win for me.

A little bit of progress.

The techniques learned through the course are incredibly useful, for example detail such as roof tiles is created by using a normalmap.

6 Likes

Fantastic work @Svetlin_Balkanski, fantastic… :slight_smile:

I have to agree with Rob, fantastic work!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms