Issue when sculpting

When sculpting my orc I keep on getting the pictured issue. Sometimes it will be on the actual part I’m sculpting other times it will be on a totally different blocked out part.

It also doesn’t always appear to happen for the same reason, in the attached I tried to undo a bit of sculpting on the shoulder and it just deleted the faces.

Undoing to undo doesn’t do anything, those faces are gone and the only way to get them back is to restore an early version.

At the end of my tether now because unless I save ever couple of minutes I can loose all the “detail” that I’m currently sculpting.

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to stop it.

2 Likes

Could you post a screenshot of your viewport and settings, and what kind of undo do you mean? Two things to look into is your relative or constant detail on your brush and that you have dynatopo turned on, the faces being deleted could be the mesh trying to fill im the spaces if dynatopo is off. The part where its happening to a totally different part then you want, could be due to same reasons. Also try reposting this question in the ask section this is the show your work tag, you’ll get better response.

2 Likes

As Lochness mentioned.
Loads of info is in the panels.

Undo in sculpt has been known to have problems. You can try moving out of sculpt mode and back ‘some’ glitches are in the display, not the mesh.

General Q&A note
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side. On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups where they help.

I moved your post to the Ask section.

2 Likes
  • Did you merged (joined) the meshes into a single object and remeshed?

Firstly, thank you for moving this to the ask section and pointing me to the screenshot option, very helpful.

Secondly here are screen shots before and after showing the issue, though in do these screen shots I believe I have found the issue.

When clicking undo and having the faces disappear, the dynatopo option becomes unticked. I re-selected it and clicked on missing area and all the faces re-appeared as they were originally.

4 Likes

Fantastic you seem to have solved it and can move forward.
Helpful to have a solution here for others to come across too.

That is odd and probably some display glitch, or undo and dyntopo relationship. You are using a recent version, but there is always the possibility it will be fixed in a later version. Blender 3 should be out soonish!

2 Likes

Anytime you leave the sculpt menu make sure you check that dynatopo, it switches off on its own. The faces disappearing i believe is an issue with varying resolution and it messes up faces to try and fill the space.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms