Islands not mirrored

I am so confused and need help please.

I have not applied my mirror modifier and have checked that all my seams are correct without any missing edges. Everything unwraps as it should according to the course, however my plane wings and tail wings are NOT mirrored (UV islands are not on top of one another as they should be).
I have tried a ton of things and have no idea how to make them mirrored. I can’t go on with the course because the next step is to apply mirror which I can’t do yet because I can’t figure this out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Please post some screenshots of your model, and UV layout. Its much harder to find solution without visual feedback, even if you describe it perfectly.
Sometimes it might be small issue in settings or geometry that you miss, and someone else might spot it with fresh or more experienced eye.

1 Like

Hello Medial,

Thank you for your reply. Here is screen shot of what I’m working with.

The mirrored half is not real so there will be no mirrored UVs until you apply the mirror mod. Then, they will be under the original half.
What happens while the mirror is on, is it mirrors the real half, takes and uses the real halve’s texture.

1 Like

Hi NP5.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t know what’s going on but when I apply mirror and select the top and bottom of one side of the planes wings and unwrap, they do not end up on top of each other on the UV map.

Below is a picture with mirror applied as described above.

When I select an island and move it around, there is nothing underneath.

1 Like

Did you remove the old UV map?
You can move UV-map part out site the image, there is no boundary. Does this happens to you?

• you can move, rotate and even flip the UV-map parts.

Thank you for your reply FedPete,

Unfortunately I have no idea what you mean by removing the old UV map. Each time I unwrap a section, a new UV map is created by the parts selected. I do know how to move the UV islands however when I do, there is no duplicate underneath as shown in the tutorial (with or without mirror modifier applied).

Sorry if what you’re saying is helpful, but I don’t know how it applies to my situation.

1 Like

Ok on the screen you provided you have selected only one side of the plane - so to say only 1 wing. The UV editor shows only the islands of the mesh you have selected (It shows only the UVs for selected mesh). Try adding to selection opposite side wings and see if this helps?

(You can also try this option:
obraz
Sync UV selection - it will show all islands. But proceed with caution with this one active.
Or select entire plane)

PS: You can have multiple UV maps on same object, you can set it here:

It might be used if you want to have different UV mapping for color and different for roughness for example. So you can also delete entire map from that sub-menu.

2 Likes

No there would not be as you have only selected the original geometry like when the mirror was on. Select both wings and tail planes, then both UVs will be in the UV editor. If you have not unwrapped since the mirror mod was not applied then the UVs for each side will be on top of one another.

Ok if I’m understanding correctly you want the UVs of the top side and bottom side of the wings to overlap? Currently, they are both separate islands which is normal since you have a seam around the edge.

If you want them to overlap, for your model you could do that by selecting the faces you want to unwrap, then going into Top View by clicking Z on the gizmo, then press U and select Unwrap From View. This way UVs for both sides will overlap.

When it comes to mirroring UVs, it happens automatically when you apply the mirror modifier, so you should unwrap before you apply it. If you Unwrap anything after it will make new UV islands and delete the old ones.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms