Is similar tiles generation methods used in existing games?

Is this tiles generation method similar to the methods that they used in games say like Pokemon Go so that they can mapped the map of the whole world into the game ?

Depends on the developer. And I do not believe so in Pokemon go, they used some pretty complex stuff that stores world maps and spawns and deletes content around the given player

Pokemon Go certainly have access to the information about the world maps somewhere and map those information onto the game terrain.

What I meant is the part of the terrain that is visible to the player during the gameplay is actually a tile or a group of tiles. When the player starts moving away from his current position in the game new tiles are generated based on which position he is moving referenced to the world map and the current visible tiles that the player is moving away from get destroyed.

They can split the the world area into tiles of size X meters by Y meters which then could be translated and mapped inside Unity.

2 years later but…
From our experience Level streaming and streaming volumes is the proper way to go.
It probably depends on the size/complexity of tile. If sth as easy as in this course, spawning BPs will do I guess. But for more complex stuff we used level streaming.

Go read up on what is Vector Tiles and Mapbox.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms