Is it me or

is it still challenging for you guys?

I feel that I can’t complete any challenges despite the stuff that we learned. Maybe I am simply a slow learner and it will take more game projects like this to start feeling more comfortable.

On every challenge, I try but the majority of the times I fail so hard. I wouldn’t have guessed this:

“FVector LineTraceEnd = PlayerViewPointLocation + PlayerViewPointRotation.Vector() * Reach;”

1 Like

Don’t worry about it too much. There are people doing the course from all kinds of backgrounds, some of which have lots of programming experience already, so try not to compare yourself to other people’s progress.
The important thing is that you’re having a go at it, because that’s where the learning experience comes in. When it comes to coding there are often many different ways to achieve the same result, so the given solution might not be the only way (or even the best way). It is simply one possible way to solve the challenge.
Eventually things will begin to make more sense and you’ll start to feel more comfortable with finding your own solutions. Just keep at it and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

@Gabriel_Perez Thank you for posting this questions.

My build kept failing and I couldn’t figure out why. I kept overlooking the () after “Vector” and only found it after reading your post.

I am 100% new to C++ / UE4 and fail the challenges as well. Trying to solve it on my own seems like good practice though.

Hold on 1 year and it will become peace of cake.

It is normal, yes. Coding is practice and unreal is a gigantic engine that goes way beyond simply writing code that does stuff.

The example you posted however, is quite basic vector math. What I can just highly highly recommend if you want to make your life easier (if the functionality of your code example and not the coding itself caused your trouble) is grabbing a course/ book on 3D math, since 90% of the movement things you will be doing are based on that. Topics to cover are:

-cartesian coordinates
-vectors (arithmetic operations, length, dot product, cross product, etc.)
-planes (intersection, reflection etc.)
-matrices -> especially rotation matrices and euler rotations
-quaternions (don’t worry if your goal is to get how they’re used for rotations and not dive in the whole mathematical problem of complex numbers, they’re not too hard to understand)

Once you got at least a basic understanding of these topics, there will be no problems involving movement of some kind that are unsolvable or that you can’t understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms