Is Decimate ok for retopology

Show me an image of it in instant mesh. What steps did you take before seeing the result?

1 Like

I had to decimate the mesh to about 400k tris so it could actually run inside of instant mesh. I just press the solve buttons and extracted it.

1 Like

I currently have it open on my computer as well. I remember having symmetry when I used this. It’s been a while, I am going to play with the settings a let you know what I find. :+1:

When grant used it, it seemed to have symmetry by default. There must be a setting somewhere.

1 Like

Ok I think its partly because since I had to decimate it it lost some symmetry. Did you decimate last time you imported it. If not how did you put it in without out it crashing? If you rememeber

I don’t think a decimated the last time. I am going to get my old files on my old computer and check them out. I make about thirty saves per project just in case I mess something up. I apologize for not having this information readily available.

1 Like

You dont need to apoligize your one of the best helpers on the website! How many tris was you hp mesh because mine is 2.5 million and it doesnt really run inside of instat mesh.

1 Like

Upon viewing the low-poly mesh I can tell I used the voxel remesher for the orc. The tri-count was about in that neighborhood of 2 million like yours.

I now remembered why I tried to use the instant remesher. I tried to instant remesh this:

I don’t think the results were favorable as I went and tried to manually retopo it myself. What happened was there was no symmetry so I had imported it back to blender, went to edit mode, and used the symmetry tool to make it even. As I write this, I also remember that I spent hours trying to remove the doubles along the crease where the center of the creature was.

Instant remesher was best for static objects that were not meant for animation. It still is useful in those cases as it can make a full quad mesh.

If you wish, I can walk you through the steps of the voxel remesher so you can get to the baking process. I do remember what I did for that as I baked the maps about thirty times trying to perfect the normal map anomalies.

1 Like

Ok Yeah a guide would be nice I am trying manual retopo right now for practice but just incase a guide is nice. If you know any solutions to a problem I had with voxel remesher let me know. The problem is that when I go to snap some neck vertices back in place it gets messy and they are vertices overlapping and random junk. If you need a picture for demonstration let me know but yeah I would love a guide sounds nice :+1:. Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, show me an image of the issues you had from the voxel remesher.

1 Like

Sry if its kinda hard to see whats going on.
Did this picture help though?

1 Like

Do you have the orc hp visible when snapping?

1 Like

Yes but if you can tell even with the hp orc showing it has vertices overlapping when I go to snap it. I think its a common problem in blender people make where to vertices will be overlapping at the same corner if you know what I mean. Do you know how to fix it?

1 Like

What I did for this was not having snapping turned on constantly. Turn snapping off and pull the vertex away from the hp. Then, when you want snapping on command, hold “ctrl” and move the vertex. Snapping will stay on as long as you hold “ctrl.” Let me know if this makes a difference for you. Also make sure your view is clear where you want the snapping to occur, otherwise it will go to any other geometry in the way.

2 Likes

I’ll give this a try man sometimes blenders a blast and sometimes its a nightmare

1 Like

Only in the beginning. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll have a thousand ideas hit you at once.

1 Like

Yeah for met I love Sculpting but stuff like retopology I got to get used to.
Anyways I think Im going to try to do manual retopology for my orc because its better but if it doesnt work than I will try to fix my auto retopo.

I dont know how much you know about manual retopology and how it should look but is my edge flow correct so far?

It looks better than anything I’ve done. Follow closely some videos as you do this process to pick up any useful tips that could help. A youtube channel that has much about this topic is “Flipped Normals.” Much of there channel is about character creation and retopology. Here’s a link:

Let me know if you have any more questions and I’ll answer them as soon as I can. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks I think Im going to take my time ton manual retopology because if I finish it then it should be better than the voxel remesh anyways wish me luck!

2 Likes

:+1:

Here’s my post on manual retopo so far.

Privacy & Terms