Is Creative Cloud worth it for Unity or Unreal?

Hello.

Adobe is currently having a sale for the Creative Cloud suite of apps, which comes to £13.15 a month for the first year as a student.

Is it worth it for Unity and Unreal?

Thanks.

Sam.

Hi Samuel,

I think the question is rather: Do you see anything in this product you would want to use for your future games (or something else)? If so, it might be worth to test it. If not, maybe GIMP and other free software is sufficient for you.

As for me, I use Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6 and Distiller several days a week because I need that for my work as a graphic designer. While there seem to be good alternatives nowadays, I do not buy any new software as long as PS and ID are still running fine. The reason for this decision is simple: I’ve been using PS and ID for years and I’ve never had any issues with any clients or printing houses. As the saying goes: Never change a running system.

If I didn’t have PS or ID, I would probably be using the Affinity Suite nowadays. Way cheaper, and, from what I learnt during my recent researches, they meet the PDF standards now, which is very important when working with a printing house.

Does a game developer need this stuff? Probably not.

Nevertheless, if you have the money and would like to use Adobe CC, give it a try. However, I would recommend to not make yourself dependent on them because there are often cheaper or even free alternatives, and you probably don’t want to pay several hundreds of £ per year just to draw a few pictures in your spare time. That’s just my opinion, though.

Do what you feel is right. :slight_smile:

See also:

Thanks for replying.

I think the software could be useful to have. I use GIMP anyway for pixel art drawing but I thought it was merely a pixel art application.

Another application I thought for applications like Photoshop would be experience with the software that I could put on my CV, I think it might be useful.

As for £, I do have the money, but like you said, I can save money. I think the only applications I would get use out of it is Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as the 100gb cloud storage.

Would CV experience still justify such a purchase, or could I go with something cheaper/free?

If you have a goal in mind and if you feel that the CCS would look good on your CV, I believe that £157.80 is an good investment in your future.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms