Is 16k tris too much for video games

Nowadays computers can handle a lot more tris than before but I want my orc to run smoothly and take up too much on a game engine like unreal. Do you think 16k tris is too much for the body or is it fine? If not what should I set the remesh size to, I set it to 0.025.

1 Like

This is my lower poly retopo. Is this too low or should I stick with the 16k one. This one is 11k

By the way He’s mostly likely going to be used in a thirdperson game with a camera angle similar to zelda’s.

1 Like

It all depends on its usage!

You will be amazed how low poly some game characters are.
The trick is not having a low poly count. but having the verts on places where you need them. That takes experience and practice. That’s why we do it manually.

And the details of the character are coming from good smart painting jobs on diffuse, ambient inclusion, shadow, highlights, normal maps, etc.

2 Likes

I would suggest asking in the relevant Game engine related part of the forum as it is a question they may well be able to give a better idea on.

2 Likes

Ok I use unreal mostly which can handle a pretty high amount of tris but since Im doing manual retopo its pretty low poly so far so It should be able to run pretty smoothly

1 Like

Privacy & Terms