Introduction to pixels

The discussion for recreating a sprite from pixel art using an onion skin does not exist apparently so I am posting my sprite recreation here.

They did not specify if you were allowed to peak at the original while painting over the onion skin so I tried to restrain myself as much as I could and only focus on drawing over the onion of the original.
There were a lot of colors however and the skin makes it difficult to tell which colors are supposed to be used so I felt like I was a little color blind.
Course trace

I decided to do a GBA sprite from the game MegaMan Zero as I enjoy the spritework there a lot

3 Likes

Good solution.

Wow I don’t know what the original looks like, but however different/similar yours is, it looks super awesome. I think it’s really impressive that you got this result without looking back to the original, and only through the onion skin. When I did that exercise, I kept messing up the colors through the onion skin and went back to see the original every 2 pixels I placed :joy: I tried making Sonic, but I didn’t post the image on the forum, so I guess I might as well share it now :slight_smile:
Sonic Walk Animation

2 Likes

No no. I DID look back at the original. That’s why I asked if it was okay. I felt like I kind of cheated. Especially in the latter half when I did some color correction. The onion skin makes finding the right colors difficult

1 Like

What is cheating? If it works it works. It’s just one of many techniques.

2 Likes

raccoontrace
Here is an onion skin trace of Raccoon Mario 3. I only had 3 colors and I still looked back at the original to make sure I was choosing them correctly :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms