Internet Multiplayer in Unity (262 votes)

Learn about playing a game over the internet with other users in real time (Starcraft, many FPS, etc)

Things we could include…

• Peer-to-peer mobile networking

Keneth’s Vernon’s comment…
"Request - LAN/WAN support for network communication.

At the moment, it appears that you and Brice have only focused on 3rd party server/client communication. That is certainly usable, but I am far more interested in LAN and WAN (via direct IP communication) routes. If I create an IP that I would like to release commercially, I do not want to have a 3rd party’s overhead costs to worry about in order to maintain full functionality for my end users. Also, if a 3rd party that I utilize suddenly closes their doors, it would effectively have made my end users waste their money on an IP they can no longer play.

Instead, I would much prefer giving them the ability to connect over a LAN (or VPN) or direct IP communication over WAN, effectively the same communication pathways we see in games such as Minecraft.

If you could provide such a lesson (or lessons) in your Complete Unity Developer course, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you for all you’ve done for us, Ben. I am extremely pleased with your content so far.

-Ken V"

28 Likes

1 vote here! would love to see this.

Would be interesting as well to see techniques on how to deal with latency (lag compensation / server rewind, interpolation, extrapolation, etc.). Unity has some solutions, but it’s far from being perfect.

I would be the first to purchase it. But please, use socket, not UNet.

1 Like

I would love to learn how to do this!

Have a vote. Learning how to make multiplayer games would be awesome!

Please make this the capstone section for the new Complete Unity Developer 2017 course!

Yes please. :slight_smile:

While I agree with DaveB’s comment above, I’d also like to see it addressed in detail – as much detail as you can get – especially since you may have to throw in some networking fundamentals and such. I definitely think the Complete Unity Developer 2017 course should include some basic multiplayer stuff, but a dedicated course on every possible Multiplayer setup you can think of would be terrific.

Poer-to-peer networking, local host LAN, establishing a server, lobbies, matchmaking, chat, play-over-email… anything you can think of. Getting my phone to function as a second screen for the game I’m playing on PC. :slight_smile:

(If it comes down to a choice though, I think I’d rather have multiplayer as a seperate “advanced” or “intermediate” course rather than trying to fit it at the end of the beginner course.)

2 Likes

The current Unity course ends with a section on local multiplayer using a built-in API. I’d like to see it expanded to cover more common implementations just as the OP suggested.

it would be great if the course about online multiplayer game integrated with Facebook account to invite friends and using google play service , also a room to invite and connect with our friends and invite people to the game

I like this idea. Would def be an intermediate to advanced course, but I like the idea of targeting Facebook and other online platforms, as well as standalone.

Not sure what would be involved in creating such a course, though.

I can’t help but notice there is a Multiplayer with Unreal course, I think Unity deserves some love in this dept as well!

Perhaps make it an intermediate or even advanced course, where some simple games from previous courses, or similar games, are implemented as online multiplayer.

You could have some progression along the lines of: single-player with online leaderboard/chat (using some server service I guess), connect via IP w/ client-hosted, connect via IP to a server hosted (a la Minecraft, where players can own and operate their own servers), connect with a matchmaking service where players can have their sessions connected (getting closer to a Diablo/Path of Exile/DS3 player experience).

Perhaps some of this would have to be split into multiple courses? Maybe the latter material requires too much support infrastructure to package into a course, creating too high a barrier to entry for people, but if it can be done, it would sure we a sweet course covering some very complex (and hardly covered elsewhere) material.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms