Interacting with the In Game Terminal

Ah this was killing me, to actually begin typing, Begin play, and then Press Tab to start the ability to type into the in game terminal.

Michael gives this instruction at about the 0:16 mark and I just kept missing it :man_shrugging:

Hope that helps anyone like me who keeps missing those quick details, and sorry Michael for not paying close enough attention :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also worth mentioning the game window also requires focus first by clicking in it or the Tab press has no effect.

I also encountered the bug Michael mentioned where it took two compiles before the initial code change worked.

2 Likes

My code did run the first time after a single compile. I included instructions on my ‘sign’ text telling players to hit ‘tab’ to activate the ‘sign console’.

It is so cool to see simple C++ code running on a 3d object in unreal engine!!

2 Likes

I can not compile my code, every time I try it give compile failed, any ideas how to overcome this?

I also cannot complie code. In Unreal Engine following errors in Compiler Log are:

1. Parsing headers for BullCowGameEditor
  2. RunningUnrealHeaderTool “C:\Unreal Projects\BullCowGame.uproject” “C…\BullCowGameEditor.uhtmanifest” -Logcmds= “loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -Unattended =WarningAsErrors -installed
  3. Reflection Code generated for BullsCowGameEditor in 10.1264022 seconds
  4. ERROR: Unable to start regular build while Live Coding is active. Press Ctrl+Alt+F11 to trigger a Live Coding complie.

Some Notes: I am using Visual Studio Comminity 2019, not visual studio code.

-Live Coding is unchecked in UE4 Compile dropdown option.

-I’ve also tried compiling directly in VS and get same errors.

-When I compile using Live Coding checked, it still does not compile but does create a ‘patch’ and the game runs with the changes implemented.

iIonly can Interact with terminal when I play It in standalone Game

Now it’s working fine I didn’t change anything which is weird to me

1 Like

It worked for compile… However I do have feedback… We are using functions that are pre-defined so it might be a bit confusing of disconnected when it comes to coding this… Absolutely love the course though! Thanks for updating so keep it up!

Well what’s the error?

It was only after I saw how it done that it made sense. I was expecting to do more with writing the code and that kinda of worried me, but it turned out to be very simple. I am paying attention just it feels like I don’t know what it means or what I should do. I learn better through seeing the example first. :thinking:

Everything worked for me without any problem at all! :smiley:

Privacy & Terms