Intellisense not working?

In The C++ Dot Operator lecture, the instructor demonstrates typing his variable followed by the dot operator (ie “HiddenWord.”) and Visual Studio Code offers suggestions of functions that can be used after the dot operator. Similarly, he hovers over “HiddenWord.Len()” and Visual Studio Code shows some information.

Mine isn’t doing those things. How do I enable this? I’m on PC, Windows 10, using Visual Studio Code 1.45.0 (System Setup), and in extensions I do have the C/C++ Intellisense extension enabled globally.

Maybe try going to Unreal and File->Refresh Visual Studio Code Project. That fixed some Intellisense errors for me.

1 Like

I tried that, but it didn’t change anything for me. To clarify, it’s not that intellisense isn’t working at all, but it’s not working in these specific instances where it did work for the instructor.

Can you find any steps to reproduce the problem, or is it isolated to your PC? Try opening a new file, create a couple variables, and try to use the dot operator on those. See if it autocompletes.

Same result, I created a new class, and in the cpp file, I created a variable, and tried using the dot operator, nothing populated as a suggestion.

MyClass::MyClass()
{
    int32 TestVariable = 47;
    TestVariable.   //This is the point where I paused after typing the dot, and nothing populated
}

I did some searching, and I found a few things to try.

Try pressing “Ctrl + space” when you’re in your project by the dot and see if anything comes up.

You could also try to install the C++ addon. It’s here: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.cpptools

This is what the documentation says:

Editing features

To specify additional include directories to be searched, place your cursor over any #include directive that displays a green squiggle, then click the lightbulb action when it appears. This opens the file c_cpp_properties.json for editing; here you can specify additional include directories for each platform configuration individually by adding more directories to the ‘browse.path’ property.

List members

When you type a member access symbol ( . or -> ) the editor will display a list of members. As you type additional letters, the list is filtered in real time:

Ctrl + space does give a little pop up that says “no suggestions.”

I do have that addon installed and enabled.

It’s not working for me too

See the lecture titled “4.25 VSCode Intellisense Bug”

I was having the same issue. I don’t know if this will fix it for you, but it fixed it straight away for me.

When I started this project, I opened BullCowCartridge.cpp and BullCowCartridge.h from my file structure rather than through Unreal Engine.

It turns out I needed to open up the project through Unreal Engine by going to File/Open Visual Studio Code. This opened the entire project and now my the Intellisense feature is working just like in the lectures.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Alternatively you could open the .code-workspace file

I was able to fix this issue for Mac Users. I will post video for Xcode work around

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms