Intellisense issues after following the advice in the course

I essentially copy-pasted SlippinJimmy’s post with some edits because I have the same issues, have tried the same things, but have not found a solution.

I’ve tried ‘turning it off and on again’. I’ve definitely got the visual studio code package installed as you suggest in the intellisense help page. Whenever I try to set Visual Studio Code as the external script editor in Unity: Edit > Preferences > External Tools, it seems to revert back if I close and reopen my project and navigate to that same window again, however vs code is indeed still being used as the default editor when I open the scripts in Unity.

I’ve installed .NET 6.0 and .NET Core isn’t available for download on that page. I have also downloaded .NET Framework 4.7.1 (Developer Pack) as suggested by Nina. This hasn’t fixed the issue. “Omnisharp: Select Project” in VS code also doesn’t fix the issue.

One thing I was unable to do was tweak the settings of the C# extension so that “Omnisharp: Use Global Mono” is set to “always” as this isn’t an option when I scroll through the Extension Settings list. I am using the same C# installation from Microsoft as is shown in the screenshots for Intellisense. And that’s the end of the intellisense help page so that’s why I’m posting this here.

This is beyond frustrating at this point. I’m ready to give up on it being fixed. I feel like I’ve just bloated my computer installing 100 different things that are having no effect.

It seems the only way I can get things relevant to pop up is if I have already used them. Which is great for previously used bits, but not good for offering suggestions.

Hi Quasar,

I assume you are using the latest version of VS Code? If so, please follow the instruction on this website: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

If nothing helped, install and use Visual Studio (Community Edition). For some students, VS Code simply does not work well. Maybe due to a problem with Unity, some update or whatever.

1. Download VS and follow this instruction.
  2. Select VS as your External Script Editor in Unity (Edit > Preferences > External Tools).
  3. Install the “Visual Studio Editor” package in the Package Manager.

That should work. :slight_smile:

See also:

Hi,

I also have an issue with VS code on my mac. I installed VS Code together with Unity in Unity Hub. When I open a code file VS code opens but immediately closes. I did several re-installs, reboots, installed the latest .NET, etc. It just doesn’t work.

It’s super frustrating that I can’t even get the editor to work…

What else can I try?

Thanks

Hi @Moonbush88,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

On your Mac, install the latest MONO Framework. The .NET Framework is for Windows.
https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-mac

Hi Nina, thanks. I guess that was a beginners mistake :slight_smile:

I installed it previously from the command line with something like “brew install mono” - does that work also?

I don’t have a Mac, so I don’t know if this would work. Give it a try and check the version after you installed MONO.

Hi Nina, thanks for your help - I deleted my previous Mono installation from the command line and used the installer. Now it works!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms