Intellisense in Visual Studio Code stopped working between projects!

Hi all, sorry to post a difficult question but I’m not sure where else to go. I’ve tried Reddit and Microsoft support. I don’t know if the problem is with Unity, my Mac, Mono, or Visual Studio Code.

I’ve been doing Unity tutorials from gamedev.tv and intellisense was working great on a previous project. Then I started a new one - the snow boarder - and it stopped working. The only thing that changed between projects is adding Cinemachine. But now I’ve changed a few settings and I don’t know what’s going on.

Please could you help me understand how to fix this problem, and how to prevent it from happening in the future? Why did this happen when I didn’t change anything? Intellisense stopped working and I don’t know why.

I’m so lost! I’m getting a long list of errors and I have no idea what they mean. When I google the errors people are mentioning Mono and Omnisharp and I have no idea what these things are. I know I have downloaded the latest version of Mono. Also, I’m using a Mac.

Finally, should I use something other than Visual Studio Code on Mac? So far Visual Studio Code has been pretty bad to use. Intellisense didn’t work in the first tutorial project and it took me a while to fix that. Now it stopped working again. This program seems kind of buggy and it is ruining my experience of coding because I’m trying to diagnose a problem I don’t understand.

Anyway, here is what some of the errors say:

/usr/local/share/dotnet/sdk/6.0.300/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1221,5): Error: This project targets .NET version that requires reference assemblies that are not installed (e.g. .NET Framework). The most common solution is to make sure Mono is fully updated on your machine (https://mono-project.com/download/) and that you are running the .NET Framework build of OmniSharp (e.g. ‘omnisharp.useModernNet’: false in C# Extension for VS Code).
[fail]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectManager
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/UnityEngine.TestRunner.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/UnityEngine.UI.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.VisualScripting.Flow.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Mathematics.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Services.Core.Telemetry.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.VisualScripting.State.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.VisualScripting.Core.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Services.Core.Environments.Internal.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Burst.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.2D.Animation.Runtime.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.TextMeshPro.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Cinemachine.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Timeline.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Services.Core.Environments.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Services.Core.Internal.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Services.Core.Analytics.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.2D.SpriteShape.Runtime.csproj
Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/myname/Unity/Snow Boarder/Unity.Services.Core.Scheduler.csproj

Ok lets try a few things first in VSCode make sure you have the relevant extensions installed and updated.

you can access this from the left hand side. or the shortcut. ctrl +shift+ x(this is windows, i am assuming the shortcut can be accessed by changing ctrl to command on mac)

Next if you are still having problems with intelisense download the relevant .net SDK not runtime from Microsoft Download .NET (Linux, macOS, and Windows) .

If all else fails you can always use a different text editor. I have read a lot of people having trouble with code. So another one to try is just Visual Studio Community.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I have both of those extensions installed and updated. I also downloaded .NET from the link you sent, and it still doesn’t work.

Yeah I’d much rather use something other than Visual Studio Code. So far it has been absolutely terrible. How do I make sure that Community will work well with Unity?

Visual Studio Community, Usually works well with unity I personally have not have Issues with this.

Once downloaded, So you can set it up so it opens the c# files by default when clicked on through unity.

Go to Edit → Preferences → External tools and select visual studio community on the drop down in external script editor.

Then click on the script through unity and that should load your project.

1 Like

Ok I have installed Visual Studio Community and it is linked to Unity, but Intellisense still doesn’t seem to be working.

Ah, I just had to enable some extensions. Thank you for your help!!

Good Job on getting it sorted, Keep having fun on the courses

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms