Intellisense error breaks all intellisense in VS2022 -- Help?

Hi all,

I keep getting an issue where after a few changes in a given file, Intellisense seems to flag the first line in a .cpp or .h file as the following error:

command-line error: specified directory via --current_directory option isn’t a directory: [path to project]\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\\

^ There are indeed two slashes at the end of that path

This error tends to start breaking the rest of intellisense, including showing functions/variables, keyword detection and color coding, etc. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Steps I’ve taken to troubleshoot this:

1. Searched the error online
  2. Installed the UnrealVS extension (.vsix file) – instructions: Install Visual Studio Tools for Unreal Engine | Microsoft Learn and Using the UnrealVS Extension for Unreal Engine C++ Projects | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation
  3. Made sure I open the project from the active UE session via Tools > Open Visual Studio

Side note: Refreshing the project via Unreal’s Tools > Refresh Visual Studio Project option seems to help, but not sure how much that’s coincidence vs addressing the cause.

Screenshot of the error:

Any help is greatly appreciated!

What version of VS2022 and Unreal are you using?

I’m using VS 2022 17.8.3 and UE 5.2.1

How long have you had the solution open? Looks like someone experienced the same thing here:

It’s possible that this is just an idle issue. If it’s alright, I’d like to watch it for a few days and verify if that’s the case before calling it resolved. Thanks for the link!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms