Insetting In Blender Challenge

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

This is my attempt for the pyramid challenge from section 2 of the course. For this render I used a sun light and set the render samples in Cycles to 1024 which seemed to clean up the noise from shadows etc :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice clean render.

Higher samples do get rid of the noise, though there is a lighter way with lower samples and activating the denoising option. This is found in the Render Properties tab, Sampling dropdown, denoise dropdown, A box to tick for render and for viewport as you wish.

2 Likes

Ah, I see! I had no idea there was a better way to approach this :slight_smile: thanks @NP5 I’ll check out the new suggested method next time I do a render, very much appreciated thank you! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Wow, I just tried this now. Previously I was rendering in Cycles using 1024 samples. The render took about 1 minute. I’ve now turned the samples back to 64, switched on denoising as suggested in the Render properties and set the Render option to OpenImageDenoise, which rendered in 22 seconds AND actually is a lot sharper than the first render. I compared both using 2 slots and zoomed in. Still some very noticeable noise on the first render but completely gone on the new one :smiley: thanks again for your suggestion @NP5 this is a real game changer and definitely speeds things up a lot now!

First render zoomed in (using cycles at 1024 samples)

New render zoomed in (using cycles at 64 samples with denoising set to OpenImageDenoise:

2 Likes

Happy to help. It is a great tool added in the last year or two.

3 Likes

I’m making a note of that so I can try it out next time I’m playing in 2.93.4.

1 Like

Using the denoiser will add some blur effect to some parts of the render.
The goal is to find a nice middle of denoise and render samples.
And it depends on the scene you’ve created.

2 Likes

that looks really cool!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms