Initial Prototype

Here’s my initial prototype level. It’s a town square with lots of NPCs talking and vendors selling good.

By this point in the game, there will be factions with whom you may or may not be in good standing.
If the NPC is red then they may initiate combat, or try to steal from you.

If a group of reds is outnumbered then they will be less likely to attack and more likely to just hurl an insult your way.

Camera View:
Level Prototype - Camera View

Zoomed out:
Level Prototype

1 Like

That is an interesting idea and concept to play around with and flesh out. I am sure that there could be many ways you could go from there on out for the story and various other situations in game. Really cool, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ryan. It’s certainly a core concept of the game I’d like to develop, as it could lead to some fun interaction and also lend to replayability.

In this example, I’m thinking of a level where you have to escape the town and the route you take could be affected by who your friendly with.
If a faction likes you they can help guide you though back alleys and away from hot spots.
If everyone hates you then you’ll have to fight your way out, which could be tricky.

1 Like

Yeah, there is alot of potential there for really interesting senarios that could develop. That sounds pretty cool, it would also add replayability as you said as you could decide to pair up with different factions or groups each time and see how it all plays out differently each time based on different decisions. The one thing that I would be careful with is that if you start to branch too far out with multiple choices and stuff before too long that can get really crazy. So just a tip from playing around with similar concepts make sure that you have everything mapped out very well and organized so that you can use that as a refrence material when going through and setting up everything that can happen. I am not sure if you took the complete unity developer course, but if you did it is similar to the idea and concepts they teach in the jail escape text based game that they talk about where you can map out each choice and each outcome that can happen from each choice.

I did indeed take the complete Unity developer course. :slight_smile:

I agree that it is very east to get carried away with this sort of thing and it’s hard not to be sucked down the rabbit hole.
I’m consciously aware not to bite off more than I can chew at this stage, so the actual interactions will be relatively limited to start. I’ll then build up that functionality as I go.

I’m thinking something between Fable (where the villages just react to you based on your alignment) and Fallout 4 (where the faction you align with drastically affects gameplay). Obviously won’t be going as big as the later option, but that’s the flavour.

One of my primary focuses after the course will be working on AI, so this could also work out to be a good showcase.

Thanks again Ryan.

1 Like

really cool, hope you didnt take my thoughts as critisim it was not meant that way at all. I am very excited to see where you go with it. If you decide in the future to scale the project up more and decide your looking for more people to get involved in the project let me know! It sounds like a pretty interesting project and one that might be fun to help contribute to down the line when you get to that point/if you get to that point.

Not at all, I’m glad you took the time to chat. Definitely stay in touch and I’ll let you know if I need any help down the line. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, will do sounds great. Would love to see any more progress you make as well so be sure to share again in the near future! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms