Inefficiencies in this lecture

I was watching this lecture and I noticed a few inefficiencies.

First of all, you are setting the focus object every frame in the NPC_AI_BP on event tick, and you are setting it at FocusAtActor. Now I’m assuming that its going to be changed again later with the whole behaviour tree (I’m assuming a “Patrol until sighted - Focus when sighted” type deal) so I guess it isn’t too bad - but, once you’ve used SetFocus to an object, you don’t need to keep setting it.

The system saves the actor as a reference and just gets the location off of the actor in question every frame anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that along.

I Noticed the same thing! I really hope we turn all these blueprints to C++. I mainly took this course, because i want to learn C++ in UE4. I already knew almost everything they have taught so far about the subject. Of course, going through these again, is not bad thing, but still. I really hoped more C++ in future episodes, we’ll see.

The Tank course was perfect of course : ).

Something for @sampattuzzi to take a look at.

We do revamp the AI system in “Keep it Simple Stupid” through till “Custom BT Tasks and Decorators”. Does this fix your concerns?

Unreal engine 4 was built to have blueprint as its main workflow. It encourages creativity and lets you quickly test ideas. If you know how to do it in blueprint then the previous sections have prepared you so that you can now research how to convert your now tested blueprint code to c++. This section should be about what unreal 4 was designed for, blueprints, which can do everything. Then you have a choice what you want to put in c++ for better performance. I feel like this course is the full package.

Privacy & Terms