I'm really excited to be taking Number Wizard UI again

I’ve had this idea for a while now about a text based ‘adventure’, so to speak, called “Work: The Game!”

I know that doesn’t give much context, but it’s a jumping-off point. The idea for the game is fairly simple. The design I’ve had in mind is very similar to another game called “Kyle is Famous”.

I used WTG as my idea for the Text101 game and I thought I would need to finish the Number Wizard UI game and take elements of that game, like the buttons for example, back into the Text101 game.

The inner struggle I’ve had recently was trying to figure out how to mix and match the Scriptable Objects with the buttons and get everything to load properly.

As I finished this lecture tonight on Loading All Scenes (NWUI), I realized that I can just make a new scene for each choice and label the buttons as needed, thereby avoiding the Scriptable Objects altogether. I really think I can make it work this way by using the SceneManager.LoadScene() method.

I think that might also make it easier to add in other things like booleans for in-game items like hasBaseballBat or hasEmployeeHandbook along with some extra graphics for the UI → Image components. I could probably do something with achievements and other things of that ilk as well.

I think I might try to make the employee handbook using Scriptable Objects while making the rest of the story using Scenes, and then figure out how to implement some sort of modal window to open and close the Employee Handbook.

The employee handbook is scheduled to be an integral part of the game, as it will be necessary for survival at WTG Industries…but I’ve already said too much about that for now. So anyway…

Welcome to WTG Industries!

The most important thing to remember at this moment is that you only get one copy of the employee handbook. If you do not take the employee handbook during on-boarding, or if you lose your employee handbook or it somehow gets destroyed or lost, you might have to commit some sort of atrocity in order to get another one, as we at WTG Industries greatly frown upon wastefulness and carelessness.

Achievement-wise, you will probably want to do some unholy things to your employee handbook because after all, who REALLY reads those things anyway? It would be tempting to set it on fire or shred it for an achievement.

I know that’s what I would want to do, but I’m HR and I run the show. In fact, I have stacks upon stacks of employee handbooks in my office. You are afforded one and only one copy.

That said, you probably will need it to survive during your tenure at WTG Industries.

With that in mind, WTG Industries has been on quite the hiring spree lately, and you’re not the only new employee…just the newest one. There are other employees who have lost or otherwise discarded their employee handbooks as well, so be sure to keep a close eye on yours so it doesn’t get lost or stolen!

If you find a paper bag, I definitely recommend making a book cover and giving writing a different title on the outside of your employee handbook to make it look less attractive to wandering eyes.

That’s all for now. Have a pleasant week!

Oh, and don’t forget, *free donuts on Friday!

~HR

• The newest employee (that’s you) brings the donuts. Donut forget! (See, HR has jokes, too!)

Privacy & Terms