I'm having a problem with loop cut

Above as you can see, when I attempt to loop cut, the face which seems like it has 3 faces only has 2 faces. And the goes around the whole face loop of the pyramid.

How can I fix this so that these faces act as 2 separate faces instead of 1 single face with an edge going through?

Edit: Someone on Discord figured it out. He provided 2 ways of solving this problem, but here is the easiest way. But first, here is the issue a little more clear since I didn’t explain it clearly above:

In the gif above, there is a whole loop of faces that has an edge going through them, so one would expect them to act as two separate faces. Instead they act as one face. So I was wondering how to make them act like two.

Solution:

• When adding the second loop cut, don’t duplicate the existing loop cut. Instead add a new loop cut and then scale it by 0 in the Y axis.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-3

Edit 2: Why dis gif above tiny? I’ll try to upload another one later.
Edit 3: The gif keeps appearing tiny

1 Like

Not sure what you want to tell us.

But it works as Blender works. Loop cuts as fas as the model allows it.
Loop cuts works only on QUADS. A quad is a face with 4 vertices.
Good topology (mesh model) always using quads as faces!
A loop-cut divides a quad, leaving 2 faces. But still quads!

But you can merge faces into one face with more then 4 vertices, like in a N-gon. But that’s bad design.

Your are doing nothing wrong. Don’t be busy with clean mesh model. It’s a problem for later lessons.

I think this is the result of having duplicated some of the geometry prior to loop cutting. Accidentally.

Start with selecting all verts and ‘merge by distance’ AltM, choose from list, before loop cutting.

Ah, oke. I’ll leave it as be then.

I’ll try the make the issue clearer though. In the gif above, there is a whole loop of faces that has an edge going through them, so one would expect them to act as two separate faces. Instead they act as one face. So I was wondering how to make them act like two.

Unfortunately, this didn’t work. :confused:

OK, then try selecting the loop that is not connected to the faces, and deleting it. then doing a new loop cut to replace it.

Gif is really annoying. lol Cant pause it , keeps moving not as good as still images.

However something is clearly odd on the second loopcut as it shows highlighted orange lines in the air Stepping up the pyramid and an odd X like shape above the top. that must be the point something odd is happening. What is it cutting up there that is invisible?

Videos are generally too large to upload to these forums unfortunately.

That x shape appeared when I attempted to translate the cut, I undid that. Also someone on Discord came up with two solutions, one of which was to create a second loop cut from scratch and then scale it to 0 on the Y axis.

Hey,

Spotted this on discord but i lost the message.
If you can post the screenshots you posted there as its the slide issue pulling down in the middle of the model it may help
Also uploading the file to here if you can in a post may help us aid you further on this.

I suggest you tube for the videos.

However its likely that during the construction that a double extrusion was done or a toggle is turned on that shouldnt be. With the extra information we should be able to get you moving again.

Hello there,

Somebody DMed me on Discord with two solutions. The easier one is when adding the second loop cut, create it via Cmd + R and then scale it by 0 on the Y axis.

The issue lied in duplicating the existing loop cut. It only created a new loop cut, not a new edge loop.
When the second loop cut was created via duplication, it could be translated off the object.

Good you found out the problem. It was not possible to see you duplicated a loop rather than making a new cut. Duplication is not loop cutting.

Lecture 31. Edge loops lecture at 6:40 shows how you should have done it. 9:03 on the pyramid model specifically says loop CUT again and slide it up to the first straight one.

Your solution is an alternative way to the lecture lesson method being taught.
The ways of Blender are many.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms