I'm back at it!

Boy it has been a long year for me. I’ve Lost (left) my previous job, and went unemployed for almost a year. In that time, I moved to a new state (with my GF), and started a new job. The new position I have is going to be using Unity very soon, so I wanted to get through Blender first, then move into that.

Anyways, enough introductions. I wanted to share what I did so far in some of the challenges, so here we go!

In learning the Blender interface, we were tasked with making a view similar to the Quad View, so here is that:

We were then tasked with making some models similar to the Train, Tractor, and Castle ones, and because of limited time, I got those done, but have not made any trees yet:

I am very much enjoying the course, and am greatly looking forward to the more advanced modeling techniques.

On another side note, while I realize Blender is much more advanced than tools of old, it is interesting to look at some older 3D games and movies and try to visualize how they were modeled. For example, look at Toy Story (the original), or games like MYST, or one of my personal favorites, Dust: A Tale of the Wired West, which I am actually going to be recreating in Blender / Unity as a personal challenge.

Here is an example of a screen in Dust:

krnl386_029

Each individual component is fairly simple, even for 1995, but altogether it makes for a convincing environment.

I would like to challenge each person who reads this to start to look at other 3D models and environments and do the same. Imagine the techniques that may have been used to create them, and how they work together to create convincing scenes.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms