IK Limits for the Lamp Bones

I ran into a problem when trying to set up the IK limits. Rest position would not be able to copy out to the posed position. the bones actually were wonky and it took a lot of finagling to get them to settle correctly. I went through many settings to see what the problem is. Alt-G, and Alt-R (Option R or G) would place the lamp into some strange stretched out position. Rotations were definitely not working as expected.

I ended up thinking I should position the lamp into the position it should be and set that as Rest position using (one a Mac) ^-A (Control-A). That kind of worked but the bones were not rotated on themselves properly. The were twisted and the X, Y, and Z coordinates were tilted in positions that I was not expecting. That is when I noticed that the properties for the 3D Cursor had rotations applied, and there was a keyframe for location and rotation on the timeline. I am not sure if having rotations on the 3D Cursor has anything to do with this. At least I changed it back to zero degrees and deleted the keyframe from the timeline. The lamp is now able to be positioned.

1 Like

did you apply scale to the bones, before rigging (attach armature)?

1 Like

I do not remember scaling the bones as I was building them, except for the control bone that we changed into a sphere from the cone shape. After I adjusted the size I applied the scale so it would work correctly.
I used to run into the problem of not applying the scale and then getting strange results when trying to bevel the edges. I try to remember to apply the scale to the mesh as I am working on it.
I’ll go back through the bones and make sure they all have the proper scale. Thank you for your comment.

1 Like

It’s the scale of the objects, which is best to set them to 1. By applying scale.
Then construct your bones and when all in place. Then connect bones to object.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms