If money were no object

What PC would you build?

1 Like

This is really a hard question for me… I mean, honestly my computer now does everything i need it to. So, I’m kind of at a loss for what I would do if I could splurge… I guess I would get dual GTX 1080’s… Maybe a dual CPU motherboard… A couple more SSDs…?

Guess I’m not really enough of a hardware junky to give any real fascinating answers to this question :sob:

Oh! well, if money were no issue, I’d get a second PC and two Vive’s for future VR MP!

1 Like

…and then we would play a nice game of chess… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Not the one I built 8 years ago! (Although money was a factor then.)
It’s hard for me to get excited about hardware having seen the leaps and bounds in technology since transistors replaced vacuum tubes and transistors are almost at the atomic level in width.

I guess the important thing to note here is that you can build a PC but not a MAC!

1 Like

A computer capable of running Dwarf Fortress without a severe frame drop around mid-game.

Alternatively, I could probably build a colony on one of Saturn’s moons for the same price.

2 Likes

Sounds like a 4:20 ERROR HA Ha ha!!!

I wouldn’t care what brand of components are in the rig. I would just want something that would support my game programming including creating VR titles, which is my goal. Currently I’m working with an i3 and a GTX 750ti, so what I can create currently without blowing up my system is limited. haha

I would build this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/_M0N5T3R/saved/#view=TBZCmG

I would get a new top-of-the-line iMac for about $7000 CAN

(Thinking about it more, HAL 9000 isn’t a mere computer, it’s a form of general artificial intelligence. However, I could certainly tell it to render Civlilization VI. :grinning:)

1 Like

You can certainly bulid MACs. However, it’s then called a Hackintosh. More info here: http://www.hackintosh.com/

I have PCs here too, but I always wanted a Mac. Its a religious cult you know!
For me its a stable, well-known platform to eliminate possible hardware/OS problems when debugging
because of the limited make & models produced. If a guy with the same Mac (like Ben) then I know the problem
is not hardware related.

Myself, I LOVE building systems, performance metrics, hardware specs… the whole lot.

If money were no object I’d either like a Quantum computer or a render farm.

In all honesty I find these days that I can get quite a decent machine for a fair price.

For gaming I’ve always gone for an i5 and an Nvidia graphics card of some sort, usually not the top one, usually the next one down. For example at the moment I have a 970 GTX.

For development I use a Surfacebook (with integrated GPU) by microsoft. Its kind my work laptop but I also find it actually runs faster than my desktop for some tasks! So I prefer to do all my game development (and modelling) on that.

If money were no object I guess id just keep up to date on the latest intel CPU’s and buy whatever graphics card was the newest :slight_smile: I’m not really into the whole benchmarking scene and I dont even run 4k, 1080 is still good for me!

I’d probably kit out my extended family with maximum spec Macs and keep them all pretty current and backed up. I’ve always built my own PCs but I’m starting to see them more as a tool and less as a project now, plus I’m tired of supporting them for everyone in my extended family. Macs are so much nicer to support.

Money’s no object? All right then…

I would get myself a Mac Pro, 12 core processor, 64GB RAM, 1TB Internal Storage, plus some external Thunderbolt storage for working on music, game dev, and Windows based projects, and yes, I would install Windows on it using Parallels (not going to bother with Bootcamp this time!) both the magic mouse and the trackpad, dual monitors, dual AMD D700 GPUs, and of course, AppleCare. :wink:

As for software, I’d include the full license of Unity, the latest versions of Digital Performer, Native Instruments Komplete, Poser Pro…

Oh yes, I want it. :smiley:

I reckon I’d instead buy a well-regarded one than build a Frankenstein-like one, lol. I’m saying it because I know that It’s a bit risky, at least for me, to gather different parts and then put them together like in that video with “apple-pen.”. I’m sticking here with these apps 25 Apps That Pay You To Play Games - Partners in Fire and playing different games to save some money and buy a brand-new MacBook or a gaming MSI. What do you think about MSI? Are they worthy from your point of view?

i9
128GB RAM
3 x RTX X080 Ti’s (X as in the latest numbered version)
4 x 2 TB SSD in RAID 10 (2 x mirroring <RAID 1>, 1 x stripping <RAID 0> / File System) for storage
2 x 250 MB M.2 in RAID 0 (striping / OS drive)
1 x 1600 watt PSU, 80+ Titanium
3 x 4k 27" gaming monitors (mine are just 1920 x 1080 @ 144)

Already have the case and peripherals I want.

Here’s my current specs:

• Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K
  • NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151
  • Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU
  • EVGA GTX 1070
  • EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx)
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200
  • 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk)
  • 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk)
  • 64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0)
  • 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0)
  • NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case
  • 1 x MSI Optix G272 27" Gaming [MAIN] (GTX 1070)
  • 2 x MSI Optix G272 27" Gaming [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)
  • Windows 10 64 bit

ben,

How about you?
Given money is not a problem, what would your “dream” rig be? :beers:

** EDIT **
Also, I deleted my first post, because it did not indicate I was replying to anyone, let alone who I wanted to reply to. Be it the thread, a user, no one. Is there a way that can be fixed or added?

Cheers! :beers:

Privacy & Terms