I would like feedback and guidance on concept and modeling

Hi everyone, I’m a game developer who decided to learn more about art/modeling.

I took the Low poly characters course, but I want to understand a little more about the idealization of characters because I just kept copying models from Pinterest.

So I decided to take the Concept Art course to create my own characters and I would like the opinion of people with more experience…

Can these drawings be used as references when modeling? Would they need to be in T pose and in a frontal and vertical view like in the blender course?

3 Likes

It depends on what you want to do with the model. If you want to rig it for animation or more flexibility, it will be way easier to do so in the t-pose. So I suggest having a T-pose drawing of your character for modeling and then you can move it into the poses from your references above once you’ve rigged your model. How many references you use is up to you, but having one from all sides just makes your life easier when modeling.

You can model your characters directly in their poses too. But it will make rigging a nightmare as you’ll have to go around adjusting bone roles. There are ways to move your model in sculpt mode too but it is not as accurate as having a rig. So if you want to move your character into different poses it’s better to start with a T-pose but if you just want one static pose you can choose to model it directly. It’s up to you. Hope that helps

I’m talking about 3D animating btw. Might not be the case for 2D animations.

1 Like

@Gordon Do you think this type of design is acceptable for creating models? If they were in T pose.

I’m not feeling very confident about the quality of the drawings. My focus is create low poly art for my personal projects.

2 Likes

I think they are completely acceptable. But yes, t-pose would make your (or your modeller’s) life infinitely easier.

To me, concept sketching/ doodling/ experimentation is all about ‘feel’. You’ve made characters who feel quirky and interesting. They would be fun to make come alive, and I think they’d do very well as low-poly characters.

I’m not sure what you mean about ‘the quality of the drawings’. If you’re talking about style, then that will always be personal. I quite like this quirky style you’ve got going, but if you yourself don’t feel comfortable with it, then experiment with different styles. Draw the same characters in the same poses, but in new ways. If you lack ideas for how to explore styles, then check out your favourite cartoons and comic books, and try to re-create your characters in those styles.

When you’ve worked with different styles, you’ll get a feel for what works for you, and what doesn’t.

That said, though, there’s nothing wrong with the one you have here. As I said - quirky is cool :smiley:

1 Like

Your designs are great. You’ll keep on getting better and more confident with each project, so keep up the good work!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms