I wish I knew how to make Castles part 1: Tyrant's Fortress

I’ve been using these exercises to practice making assets i’d like to use for future projects, and I’ve been wanting to design a castle for a Big Bad Evil Guy. I have a pretty good idea of what I wanted for it, but I greatly simplified that idea to something I felt I could manage for this challenge. I wish I could’ve done some bits better, but for someone who knows naught about architecture, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

2 Likes

I shouldve considered angling everything to make the castle cast a shadow on the buildings instead. Hmm.

It is a nice image, and visually effective, but we have not been working on the castle, and we see nothing of it! It is just a silhouette with glowing windows.

Castles, look for ground plans of a real one you like, then images of what is still standing as reference. Then study the history of their use and features. Or go fantasy and anything goes! Depends on what matters to you and your potential viewers. Once you claim an era, for example, there will be plenty of viewers that notice things that ‘had not been invented’ or similar. Like people noticing watches worn by actors in Roman era films!

2 Likes

Awesome scene! Love the castle with the illuminated windows! It would be cool with the shadow over the town, but it’s already looking pretty sinister xD

I look forward to seeing what you come up with as you progress through the course. You’ve got a cool imagination.

1 Like

I’ll fix the lighting later as I keep going through the class XD I;m not even sure this is the barebones design I’ll stick to through to the end.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I didn’t want to work on a simpler building for this one (says the girl who cant even draw a standard cottage, so I keep doing this to myself xD) and thought a castle would be a good bit of practice, since, as I mentioned, I can’t draw them past a single tower and a large square xD) This is definitely for a fantasy setting, I had considered a base supported by pillars to make the structure almost look like a prison in and of itself, but I was concerned at whether that would make sense for a steady support. I’ve been staring at gothic castles and catholic church designs all morning and still can’t wrap my head around a design I want. I do want something that doesn’t look like it’ll cave in on itself, but I also want something a bit far-fetched.

I also ecven doodled a dead dragon on a hill while holding a spire, and tried to build a castle out of that idea. It’s not quite what I sketched, but its close enough where i feel its an ok starting point.

(So sorry for the long message xD)

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms