I went for a dungeon instead of a church :)

28 Likes

Amazing work!

This could also be a church, it could be the “basement”, there are a lot of churches with crypts and things like that in real life. It also reminded me of the game Amnesia.

3 Likes

Great whole effect. From lighting to textures.
Looks like the crates are just textured cube not modeled?
Is that a wet patch on the floor? Great idea. But needs shaping less perfectly curved, but more like water would spread along the cracks etc.
It might be better to make something that is creating the wall lamps’ light. A flame shape, a candle, or something.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, crates are the “lazy last minute addition just for kicks” so they are just textured cubes indeed.

I couldnt figure out how to improve the wet patch. I wanted the borders to be blurred to alpha but had no idea how to do it. Any tips here?

For the torches, I had no idea as well on how to make fire. I know you can do it with some particle effects but the course stops suddenly for the versions change and I miss Mike already heheheh.

2 Likes

Might be the point at which to leave it and do the next part. Otherwise have to chase up specific areas by googling for tutorials.
Yes Mikey has moved on elsewhere sadly.
I guess I would have real geometry as the floor, then select specific faces to be textured with a ‘wet’ version of the same floor texture. then you could select the mortar where water runs down into and make that wet further out. Though that is probably no the clever efficient way to do things.

If you overlaid a wet map alpha backgrounded why not edit it to another more irregular shape?

Someone else cleverer may jump in and suggest something.

1 Like

This is fantastic! Love the detail and the overall aesthetic. Nicely done.

As for the wet spot, don’t know how good of an idea it is, but here’s the first thing that came to my mind:

Water should pool in the lowest spot, right? So maybe make a depression in the floor to hold the puddle.

2020-05-11 11_38_43-Window

(side view)

Then add a plane to represent the water. Put it just slightly below the regular height of the floor, but above the height of the low spot.

(side view)

Here’s what it looks like. Not great, but this is just a real quick pass. Could probably look better with more fiddling. Again not sure if this is a better solution, but it’s another idea to consider.

Really like your project. Can tell you put a lot of work into it. Nicely done!

2 Likes

Great solution Tigger. As the plane could be positioned so it also goes in the mortar depressions but not above the top of the flagstones. Adding that additional water running into the lower cracks.

Added my use case of it. Lowered central puddle flagstone tops, lowered water plain towards outer reaches of water spread. Fast and dirty no finessed.

2 Likes

Ooh now that’s starting to look good! It also reminds me of a Ducky3D tutorial I saw that did something similar with nodes. I’ll post a link when I find it.

Edit: Here it is. He’s doing it with a kind of glowing lava texture, but maybe this could be applied to a water texture. A bit more complicated to be sure, but maybe if you didn’t want to add any extra geometry to your floor it would be better this way.

2 Likes

Holy moly! I’m also going for a dungeon for this section, but am still in the early stages (planning). Your project is showing the ultimate end result! Your dungeon looks AMAZING!

:clap:

Privacy & Terms