I went a little crazy with procedural textures for my chess set

I don’t know how I feel about it as a whole. I like all the pieces, except for the lattice in between the squares.

I like the first shot the best, but I don’t feel like the background fits with it.
If anyone has any critiques, feel free to share.

11 Likes

Very nice set and board.

I agree the square’s division lattice is not right. Perhaps much finer, thinner, possibly brass/gold inlay?
Yes the background is a problem. Plunge it into darkness? Get an hdri that looks a reasonable setting? Build an entire room set!

Great black side body texture.

Thanks, I still feel like It has a lot I could fix, but I think I’ll continue the course. Need some time, so I can see it with fresh eyes. I hear they teach you a little about lighting in the next section. I’ll come back to this in a couple of weeks.

I hadn’t even considered that it was too broad, but I think you may be right.

That might work, maybe with some more volumetrics. :thinking:

I wanted a bit more control over the lighting than that. Lighting is something I really need to work on.

That idea is what made me decide to just throw a sheet behind it. If I’m going to get stuck on a section, I’d rather it’s one that is teaching me something that I have no experience in.

Thanks for all the advice, I’ll look back over it in a couple of weeks and see what I can do.

2 Likes

I finally got around to fixing my board.

1 Like

Looking exceptionally good now. Very nice board squares.

This looks fancy. I love how you came up with someone i´ve never seen before!!!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms