I need more clarity on the grease pencil

Mikey’s tutorial on the grease pencil is a bit brief for what seems to be such an important feature.

I followed what he said but I can’t get mine to show solid black. No onion skin, opacity to 100%. When I do get it solid how do I change the colors. I try selecting but it wont let me. Any ideas?

I actually would like to make an animatic with the grease pencil. I’m using 2.91

1 Like

The course is for 3D Blender. It is actually a bit odd Mikey involving Grease Pencil at all. Bear in mind he is only using it to ‘doodle’ in 3D because it can be made into 3D mesh.

You are right that GP is a powerful 2D animation tool that the Blender Foundation has made short animation films with. It is not in the 2D sense though part of the Learn 3D Modeling for beginners course. Really there needs to be a separate course in using Blender Grease pencil.

GP strokes use materials, I believe you can just create a new material to make a new brush colour.

1 Like

Thanks NP. I was under the impression that the course was all encompassing. Including all aspects of the 3D software that is Blender. I hope to use it as a “all in one”, using the grease pencil to create the base character sketches to model from. I also LOVE the idea of combining 2 and 3D together in one animation. The other reason the missing GP info in the tutorial is a bit disappointing

If you have come across any good GP Youtube tutorials I’d appreciate if you can pass on the links.

Cheers

W

Yes, it is, but at the time this course was set up, Grease pencil was fairly new. It’s more 2D in a 3D world. So it is discussed, but not lengthy, as more Blender subject.
Some blender aspects are a course on their own.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms