I need help - SimpleShooter 2D Blendspace not working, Wraith stays in A pose

Hello,

I can’t figure out why Wraith won’t animate with 2D blend space. I was playing the 1 walking animation from the earlier lecture just fine, but when I switched it to the BS_Locomotion asset I created (according to the lesson) it doesn’t play any animation.

Stuck in A pose (character mesh can move around/jump just fine w/ WASD+ and mouse controlling camera.

here’s my blendspace

here’s my BP_ShooterCharacter

here’s my ABP_ShooterCharacter

any ideas?

Also, something else that may be related… in lesson #162 (re: SimpleShooter animation part of the course) at ~2m30s, Sam tests the animations by changing the speed and values of Speed and Angle in , ABP_ShooterCharacter but the editor does not responding when I enter a value speed, it just keeps zeroing out when I hit “apply”.

Could you show your main Anim Graph?

I though that the Anim Graph is the last photo above (with the brown Object Pose block). Seems like I might be missing something with that?

Sorry I thought the output node looked different to that and you were further along.

Do you have multiple animation blueprints and have accidentally set the character to the wrong one?

That’s an interesting question… I don’t currently have any duplicates but I have tried some rather messy deletes. I think I may have to start from scratch. The BS_Locomotion file seems funny, when I add it to the Animation BP is doesn’t show the thumbnail version of the Blendspace and I don’t have the green diamond at all (it’s a green X no matter what I do). In the video, Sam has to close/re-open the asset to get the green preview cursor to re-appear. I think I’m kinda hosed… I’m going to ditch the whole project and start from scratch. I’ll also say that there are some other asset issues (there are 2 wraith skeletons - one with more bones) and the mesh error on the stairs that he fixes in a lesson weren’t in my assets. It’s all pretty frustrating, but I guess that’s game dev for you. I’ll start over tomorrow and see if I’m stuck again. That is, unless you have any other suggestions.

Yeah, starting from scratch worked. Deleting classes and BP’s in the editor must have left some broken links or something that were not easily identified in the UI or in any errors. It was worth the 90 minutes or so to fast forward through the lectures and do it all again. This was tedious, because it seemed that everything was identical to what I had, just this time it worked. The blend space editor in UE5 does user a green “x” instead of the green diamond as far as I can tell so that was irrelevant. Once I brought the BS_Locomotion into the ABP_ShooterCharacter event graph this time, I could tell immediately that it was working because it showed the little thumbnail version of the blend space. I was able to get it playing the idle/walk/jog cycles to match Sam’s lecture. So, I guess I’m sorted out on this.

I think the major takeaway is that the Editor does have some bugs, I expect some of this anyway, but when something just seems broken, it probably is and I should invest some time in setting up at least a local versioning system.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your help.

1 Like

Glad you managed to get there :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms