I need help on making the diamond for Lecture 6!

I cannot seem to understand how I can create a diamond by simply using transforms, rotating,scaling…etc

I tried a lot of times but frankly I feel like I am doing something wrong. I already applied rotation and scaling but…it didn’t seem to do anything? I am confused as to this part of the lecture as well…could someone help me?

2 Likes

Hard to make out what your problem is.

Take the basic default cube.
R, Z, 45. Click or enter.
Ctrl A, apply rotation and Scale.
S, X, drag to diamond shape, click or enter.

Done.
Well then Ctrl A, apply rotation and Scale. Probably ideal.

3 Likes

There is an other trick. BUT YOU DON’T LEARN ANYTHING THEN.

Except there are more default objects :wink:

Blender has some add-ons, which you need to switch on!
Containing additional shapes like diamonds.
Open preferences > Add-ons > “Add Mesh: Extra Objects”

2 Likes

you can use the blender addon extra mesh where you will get a extra object
called brillent diamond

1 Like

I apologize for the question, but I did not realize after the challenge has been given there was more to the lecture where he explained how to get the diamond object right. And I was able to do it then, sorry! my bad.

But I have a new question now:
‘‘What does applying transforms actually do?’’ what difference does it make to apply rotation, scaling etc? I don’t seem to quite understand what difference does it make, and how does it help make the diamond object. Thanks in advance!

I again apologise for the not well-explained question above! I was quite distressed while asking.

I got that now friend, thanks! I am sorry for the question, I was quite distressed while asking it because I felt dumb for not being able to understand haha…

No problem at all, always ask when stuck.

Applying transforms bit tricky to explain, it resets what blender has as references to base altering an object from. By resetting you tell Blender what you have moved, scaled, etc. is its new normal established position and orientation in the 3d space. This is important for a lot of more advanced functions. If you had rotated an object 45 degrees, the reference data stays as upright. so a later tool when asked to do something new to the object picks up on the reference data number to start from, but the object is actually at a 45 degree angle! So it goes wonky, wrong crazy, maddening why is it doing that moments! Obviously most object can have had lots more than one rotation done to them, so very messing up later tools. Something not working as expected a good first check is… Apply rotations and scale!

Well my understanding of the theory! In practice just something, magic, you do for good reasons as otherwise some things won’t work.

1 Like

If you create a MESH object, it has its own local properties. These local properties can be edited in edit mode. Location of the vertices, X,Y and Z-ax, direction of a face (x,y,z), colors (materials) of the faces, etc.
Outside the edit mode, your object (mesh) the lives in world environment.
Which has it’s own X,Y and z-ax properties.

If you scale your object in world mode, from cube size 1 to cube size 2. Your local mesh object has still the old 1 by 1 by 1, dimension. It looks scaled but it’s not scaled in math and numbers! This can be a problem for some tools in Blender, because of the scale used in world mode, but is not used on the mesh itself.
This is also true for rotation and location of the object.

If you move your object in the world, the origin of the mesh object moves also.
In edit mode, when you move all the vertices to a different location. Your origin stays at the same spot.

So the world and local mesh object are two different things!
The apply location, rotation option, in world mode, will apply (world)scaling, (world)location and (world)rotation, to the mesh itself. In other words, the internal mesh scale is now 1: 1 with the world. Resulting, blender tools are now in sync with the mesh (world) scale. Many problems are solved. But others are also introduced!

If you create a cube and rotate them in the world. When editing the cube, the local X-Y, and z -ax are still pointing nicely to the six sizes of the cube. Easy extrude etc. using grab xx.

When the rotation in the world is applied to the mesh cube. The local axes, are now aligned to the world axes, grab xx doesn’t work anymore as expected, it follows the works x,y, and z-ax…

Same for the local origin. If you wove the object in the world. And the world location is applied to the object. The object origin is moved to world 0,0,0. You can not rotate the object as you expected.

This can be a very, confusing thing to understand in the beginning. Especially when it occurs, but you don’t know why these unexpected behaviors come from. That’s why the advice is given many times. In world mode apply rotation, location and scaling.

When to do what is difficult to say. Before you do mesh modeling, you need a plan on how to proceed. And that takes a lot of practice.

Happy render

2 Likes

Thanks a lot to both of you! This clears up things a tiny bit for me, I hope it is still normal to be confused though because I still kind of am, haha…After all I am a beginner! From what I understand so far what I do in the 3D editor does not apply to the mathematical stats of the base object in code, so thats what Applying transforms basically…does? it puts everything in sync for me so my model doesn’t go haywire after?

Thanks so much FedPete and NP5, I dearly appreciate the help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms