I may have gone a little overboard with my lamp animation

Everything in the scene was made by me, though most of it (outside of the lamp) was made for other courses and personal projects. For some reason, I felt the need to bring it all together into this one animation. I recorded all new foley for it, though. It was a lot of fun, though it did take a lot longer than I had intended!

13 Likes

Welcome back, bit of a break from here.

That is very nice! Great models and texturing.

The only thing I think possibly out is the first landing on the keys they do not seem to depress. Though later you do very nicely for the roll along.

3 Likes

Great job! And hi :slight_smile:
For the wile I was under impression that environment is a picture and only lamp is modelled. Great work on realism. And yes you could argue that first jump was the sound of only black keys so white ones would not depress but they don’t give off this sound :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I think it’s because he landed flat on the black keys, so the white keys didn’t get depressed, where the white keys are what the lamp is rolling along, those look depressed.

Oh it looks like @Mateusz beat me to the punch by 12 minutes. :wink:

5 Likes

What got my attention in first place wasn’t the image but anticipation of all keys being pressed together. instead it was harmonious chord, of some sort… Just showing how animation is strongly connected to our perception and even if you full the eye, hearing is another sense to deal with :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Might be I have no idea about playing a keyboard, perhaps it looks right to those that expect only the black keys to make that note? I did wonder if it may be them only, however right or wrong technically, I think the eye/ear coordination expects a visible key depression.

4 Likes

You’re definitively right. I’m not expert in keyboard by no means. I sometimes like to watch pianists play hands on, so this moment was definitely confusing to my brain when sound didn’t match my anticipation. Both observations are correct .
Blind and deaf man would probably say that it didn’t smell right.

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, I didn’t expect to be greeted with so much a discussion here! @Mateusz & @Miss_B are right: I was going for an only-black-keys sound when the lamp first lands on the piano. Part of my motivation for that was to create a more pleasant chord to listen to, but mostly it was because I was lazy and didn’t want to have to animate the additional white keys moving; the black keys are fairly well-hidden by the lamp, so I figured I could skip animating them if I argued that it only landed on those. It’s interesting how much the audio impacted people’s experiences!

By the way, if anyone is curious: the reason the black keys tend to sound nice together is that they form a major pentatonic chord. You actually can’t create a dissonant chord (or at least, not very dissonant) if you’re only using black notes, just by nature of the intervals between them. I’ve attached a screenshot below of the few measures of sheet music I wrote to generate the audio for the lamp landing on the keyboard and then rolling its way up the keys.

Thank you all for the compliments and commentary!

6 Likes

Yes.
I stop action movies mid action and look at gun shots to see if muzzle fire looks realistic. So I’m sorry for neat picking :joy:

4 Likes

Not nitpicking at all! I appreciate all the feedback.

And pausing movies to check out effects doesn’t sound like a bad idea for a digital artist! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Nice video, the notes helped.

I am currently taking music theory, so this was an interesting topic to look through!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms