I find navigating this forum pretty confusing

It took me awhile to figure out why, but it seems like it’s difficult to navigate to particular lecture areas. I know there are ways to do it, and I’ve found a few by attempting to figure out this site’s navigation, but it seems like the most obvious way should be to click on a course, click on a section, click on a lecture, and see all the recent posts for that lecture.

Instead, what happens is we click on a course, click on a section, and see all the recent posts for that section, regardless of what lecture it’s in.

Hi @Anthony_Juarez,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The forum gives us two levels of hierarchy (categories / sub-categories), and then has the addition of tags.

You are correct that when you click through lets say Unity and then select a section from the course, lets say Glitch Garden, the topics are displayed in order of the most recent. This is because the forum is only looking at the two levels of hierarchy, not the tags.

What you can do however, is use the Lectures (tags) drop down menu to select a specific lecture that you are interested in;

This will then filter the display for you and show you only topics from that lecture. (Note, because they are listed alphabetically, they will invariably not be in the order of the lectures in the section of the course.)

When set up, it was decided that the tags would be used for the links from Udemy to here, this enables students to click on a link from Udemy and post a topic in the corresponding course and section, with the lecture tagged.

There are some thoughts / discussions going on at the moment which may see the structure of the forum change slightly, but obviously we are a little limited based on the software, despite having a lot of customisations, we are trying to shoe-horn in a structure with more levels that it is designed for. If you have any thoughts on how it could be better structured/organised, please do say and we can include those in our discussions.

Also, if you have specific areas of interest, you could also consider using your personal preferences. These enable you to watch / ignore specific topics categories / topics / tags etc, which may be of use to you. I know of another student who wasn’t taking the Unreal course for example and added a filter to ignore all of the topics for Unreal, thus reducing what he was presented with when browsing.

I hope the above information is of use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I didn’t realize it was setup this way. I’ll give it some thought and let you know if I have any better suggestions that might work within those constraints.

These observations came about when I realized a lot of people were posting replies in the “Post your first thoughts on…” post which is the place where some things linked to, and so some people are posting there and some people are posting in the general “lecture area” (which I guess is the Section area but tagged for the lecture). This got me realizing that there were multiple “landing places” for people coming into this site from different places, even if they were posting on related subjects/lectures.

1 Like

We do have an internal initiative @Lucy_Becker, @sampattuzzi and I working on to make this even clearer. I’ll close this for now and track elsewhere.

Privacy & Terms