I don't understand this

I have tried doing this three times over. The first time I just forgot to add the second modiefier that Mike mentions at 2:34 minutes of the video. Then I renamed my bones, reset my transformations, applied rest pose joined meshes from bottom to top, made sure my animation was at 0, did EVERYTHING. Nothing helps. The rig stands alone at the edge of the lattice and the lamp is in the middle as soona s I unparent it. Reparenting doesn’t help.

I moved my model to 0,0,0 position and cleared all rotations. I moved my model up on Z by 0.23 so that it would fit the rig. Then finally the rig worked and the model moved with it. After this I played my animation and it worked but the rig still stood alone and unmoving at the edge of the lattice, locked in rest pose.

I set the rig free to pose mode and played the animation. -sigh- The animation exploded in my face.

Could this be a point of origin -thing? Maybe my lamp wasn’t at 0,0,0 when I began constructing it? I don’t remember when I moved it. I think I did the base and then moved that.

Anyway, for me the rig needs to be exactly on top of the lamp to work and even then the animation doesn’t work.

I had the same problem and while I can’t remember exactly how I solved it, I went back in and played with the old file to see if I could re-create it. I found a few things that may help. First, be sure that the lamp mesh is unparented. It looks like you’ve got that covered. While the origin does not need to be centered, the mesh itself does need to be on the armature. That’s why it breaks apart. I found that putting the armature in rest mode (so it is locked in place) then moving the lamp over it before putting it back in pose mode fixed it. If that doesn’t do it upload the .blend in your next response and someone can take a look at it and see if they can figure out what’s going on.

OoooOOOoh. I see! We are talking about the second armature here now, the unapplied one? I tried that just now but coudn’t get rid of the old modifier, so I will have to find an earlier save to see if that really works on my model.

I’ve been scouring the question section and this discussion to find answers but this problem seems to be common and yet varied, since no definitive answer seems to be found. I could still go and try to do this one more time but I can’t help feeling like the problem stems from something I did back when first constructiong the lamp. :thinking:

But anyway, once again you gave some useful advice so thanks! :grin: You’re a real help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms