I don't have the Building Escape option

My husband and I have rewatched the videos twice and are thoroughly confused.
At the end of the “Unreal Classes and Components” Lesson, the top item in the World Outliner is “Untitled (Editor)”. At the beginning of the next lesson (“Deleting a Class”), that changed to “Building Escape (Editor)”. When did that change and how?
At the 2:58 time mark of “Deleting a Class”, his Content Browser includes a content called “Building Escape”. How did that get there? I don’t have that. And, so, it should be no surprise that I don’t have the Building Escape level to assign as a default for this lesson.
Was a lesson inadvertently deleted? Maybe, a lesson that explained what levels are and actually created one? Was the “Deleting a Class” lesson supposed to come after a lesson that discussed levels and replaced it, instead? If so, could you please not only explain how to fix this but also explain what is going on? At this point, the only thing I understand about levels is that I’m missing one. A document in the resource section that explains what is going on would help until this can be fixed.

I’ve noticed that there are other comments with the same problem. A teaching assistant named DanM replied by asking if they saved the level after they created it. Could someone please tell me the lesson and timestamp in which the level was supposedly created to be saved?

1 Like

I had the same problem…

what I did is remake the project without the Starter Content
and it works.

I hope it work with you also.

No kidding! Thanks! That occurred to me but then I thought “Nahh, that can’t be it.”
It’s become clear to me that this is a beginner’s course for C++ but not for Unreal Engine. I just don’t understand the fundamentals of Unreal Engine and I’m getting increasingly confused and frustrated. The solution to this current discrepancy is probably obvious to anyone who understands the UE4 fundamentals but that’s not me. So, I’m going to change to a different course and may return to this tutorial after I have some context.

He saved the level. There should be an edit regarding that, is there not?

That’s what he called his project. In yours that’s “BuildingEscape15Nov”.

There doesn’t appear to be an edit that should be there regarding saving the level. I’ll go see what’s up with that. Sorry for the frustration that caused.

This ended up leading to a whole stack of problem I had with the whole “Building Escape” lessons. I did pose a question at the time but never got a response. I eventually ended up losing Level 1 because of it and posted another question but after losing the level I decided to just forget the whole thing and move on, so I didn’t lose the level in which I put in so much time and effort. I don’t know what happened and switching between the levels never worked properly couldn’t figure out whether it was my computer or a problem with Unreal. I still don’t know how to build multiple levels for a game, and move from 1 level to a second throughout the course of a game - I’m into “Toon Tanks” now, hopefully this glaring omission will get covered in these lectures.

I can sympathize. I decided, after having that problem, that I was missing a lot of UE4 fundamentals so glitches that probably appear obvious to the “tutors” were a baffling/ frustrating mystery to me. It boiled down to not understanding the structure of UE4. “Here’s what a level is…” and “We get a set of .cpp and .h files for every actor…” These fundamentals were probably explained at some point in the course but, of course, I don’t retain everything.
So, I took a sabbatical from the course to binge YouTube videos. Most emphasized speed over explanation “type this and now press this button and now type this and I’m not going to take the time to explain why you’re doing this” (not what I needed) but I have found a few which took their time explaining the concepts.
I don’t know if it’s against Udemy policies, but if you want a list, I’ll try a separate posting with my favorite YouTube channels which actually provide explanations, including a terrific one for regular C++ which I found because the pointer/reference concept wasn’t sinking in.
Anyway, now that I have a better understanding of the UE structure, I’m back to this Udemy course.

1 Like

This lecture has been edited recently to explain that the level was saved off camera.

I apologise for missing that.

This isn’t a slam on this course but sometimes I feel like a “deer in headlights”. I’m keeping up but couldn’t explain the code or apply the techniques elsewhere. Sometimes, one just needs a supplemental boost.
So, I can’t help but give a plug for one obscure YouTuber who I recently discovered who explains things slowly and simply. His name and channel is “Mike Stevanovic”. He doesn’t walk through projects like this course but sometimes I just need to hear an explanation from a different angle. He doesn’t have many views or followers which is one of life’s great mysteries because his videos are short, focused, and excellent. You could think of him as a simplified version of Mathew Wadstein.
As for pointers and references, my favorite YouTuber was Caleb Curry. Vanilla C++ is different from UE C++ in many ways but if you have a difficult time with pointers and references, I found his pointers/references videos very helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms