I am confused of the parenting after re-rig

I was confused which one should be the parent. The Mesh or the Rig? When I made my animation and tried to unparent them the mesh get decoupled.

Hi Borkox,

You can always check this with a simple check: Does the mesh control the armature or does the armature control the mesh. The ones that controls the other one is the parent. So armature is the parent. :slight_smile:

Cheers, Jax

1 Like

I have the same problem as yours. How do you solve it?

I played a little bit with parenting and it worked. I made mesh parent of armature. But you need to tweak with coordinates.

So, parent the mesh to the armature. Select mesh first then shift select the armature, press control + P and select Armature Deform. (possibly with automatic weights).

After than you can weight paint the bones to have better control over the mesh. Go to pose mode in the armature and from there you can start putting the mesh into different poses etc.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Jax

Hi @borkox @Jax
I still cannot do it :frowning:

Here is my step by step:
object parent to armature

weight paint

pose mode

Btw, when rigging, do I rig the base in pose mode or edit mode?

So what is exactly your problem? :slight_smile:

When I move the base, it become detached.

Is your lamp base a separate object or is the lamp on mesh? If it’s not a single object then you cannot control two meshes with one rig. You need to CTRL + J, join all the meshes and use one armature to control the mesh.

And when you have parented your mesh under the armature (armature is the parent), then you control the mesh from the pose mode by moving, translating etc bones. In this lamp example I would call the bottom most root bone and have that control the base completely. Since other bones will follow the root, if you move the base, whole lamp moves.

Does this help you any further? I could take a look at your .blend file if you want to.

Cheers, Jax

Here is my file. I’m still confused, please help, thank you…
backdrop 11 - re rigging our model.blend (993.0 KB)

Hi Evacil,

If I move the root bone in the pose mode, the lamp base moves like I would expect. So I don’t see a problem with your rig at all. How do you move the base so that it gets detached? Remember that you need to translate the bones (move, rotate, scale) in the pose mode by selecting the armature and then switch to pose mode.

Cheers, Jax

Privacy & Terms