How to Rotate Door Properly?

Hi, I’m trying to Rotate the Door using R Z but it’s twisting because the wall is tilted. I’ve tried moving the origin and tilting the door. If I try to correct the door in open position then it’s tilted in closed position.

Is there any way to constrain the door to open properly? How do you guys do this for low poly houses?

If your door has not had its rotation applied then it ought to rotate on ZZ axis the local one. So RZZ.

1 Like

That does not work because the door in this tutorial is duplicated from the slanted house wall. This might be physically impossible due to the door shape. Maybe if I parent it to something else?

I was just wondering how to animate wonky buildings. Okay last resort… one would have to do both R Z and R Y for the open door.

Grant left the door closed for a good reason then.

It is easy to do by a couple of routes. With the simple style of the course then yes rotate it about a bit in each axis till it looks right.

Or. More advanced, isolate the door. (number pad / )
Edit mode. Select the hinge face. Press Shift number pad 7.
Shift Right click to place the cursor on that face.
Change the transform orientation point to the 3d cursor.
Un isolate the door. (number pad / )
Select front view number pad 1. etc to reset the view navigation behavior.
Press R, then try the axes in turn, one will be in a vertical line with the face the cursor was placed on.

Alternatively.

Select the hinge of the door face. Shift S cursor to selected.
Set pivot point to 3D cursor.
Select the top face of the door to look directly down on that face by Shift number pad 7.

Press R and rotate, in that set up door top view.

Changing the pivot doesn’t work because the door is deformed so using cursor doesn’t matter at all.

Okay I figured out the solution is to rotate the Z Axis itself (transform affect origin tick) and then use R Z Z. This makes the door rotate properly. The Z Axis must be aligned with the door in both front and side view.

1 Like

Another solution is to make use of empties.
And features, like aligning to faces, edges.

But you’ve manged it. Well done!

2 Likes

Yes it would be more elegant to align the hinge face to an empty.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms