How to paste a flipped

With my snake I have been making it slither along the ground so I made it an straight and then move into an S shape but then moved it along the x axis which works great.

Now I want the S shape to be the opposite side so it looks as though it is slithering left and right to move forward.

Is their a way to copy the first S shape and paste it but mirrored? e.g. bone 2 is rotated in the X 90 degrees and then duplicate and paste it but with it rotated in the X -90?

Thanks

2 Likes

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.

2 Likes

With a snake armature, probably not. Blender does have a paste flip option, but it relies on bones with the same name and an identifier like L and R for left and right. Now something you can try is in the dopesheet/timeline/graph editor click on view and check show sliders. This way you can see the values in the editor(I usually use dopesheet). Select all the bones. Copy the keyframes and move them to where you want the flipped rotations. If you expand all on the channel you will see the rotations transform for each bone and next to it is the value. Just put mouse cursor over it and press - key(that’s the minus key) this will invert the value. Negative becomes positive, positive becomes negative. Anytime you use the slider to make a change it automatically updates/adds a keyframe. So just keep doing that for the transforms you want to flip.

2 Likes

@Kurt_Frary I know it has been a few days, but I just learned something new and felt I should share and correct my last post. I was wrong. The paste flipped(Shift+Ctrl+V) actually flips the bones even without the L/R indicator. Again sorry for the incorrect info.

1 Like

But does it rename left to right when it makes the flipped version? I only tested it on a single bone chain. But have seen it done on a human model in a YT tutorial. It just worked, no one goes into these details, lol.

1 Like

@NP5 I don’t know. I was following the new videos on Grant’s Animation and Rigging course and he just did it. Then I saw the same thing on a tentacle animation. I’ve only every used it on human character with L/R designations. Maybe because the bean and the tentacle where 1 bone chain?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms