How to parent a Lamp (light source) to the Head

hi everyone,

i’m currently at the end of lamp lesson where i re-rigged the vertex groups to the bones. My problem is that the lamp was originally parented to the head so it moves along with the rigging. But since joining of mesh, and re-rigging, the lamp (light source) cannot be parented to the lamp head. Thus its unable to move with the bones. It used to when there were individual models for each piece but now it wont. Anyone knows a fix for this?

TLDR: I dont know how to parent a lamp to a vertex group

Thanks.

image of the issue

video - it used to move with the lamp head

I think this topic may help
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/3dview/object/properties/relations/parents.html
In my case, after re-rigging arm was broken, and im create new)

thanks!
found out that lamp can be parented on empty then empty on head.
will try it out

1 Like

Have you tried parenting the lamp to the proper bone? I did just that after rerigging and it seemed to work fine.

Hi NIkittele

I did but when i do parent it using ctrl P shortcut, it destroys the armature. regardless of bone or bone relative

I had the same problem as you did. Everything worked out fine till I got to my upper bone. No matter what I tried to do, lots of trials and errors, I could not re parent the upper bone because originally I already had 5 bones for every piece of the lamp. I was already set up for the lecture so I just reopened my files and opened up unity and everything was good lol.
I also tried to delete all the bones, but I noticed a lot of difficult parenting and just settled on the later to just reopen my file and export on Unity.
I have to comeback to this specific lecture on how to re rig and learn more about rigging in particular.

Awesome lectures thank you!!! I love how organize I am taking all this information in. :slight_smile:

Had same issue. I ended up selecting the lamp, then the shade bone and parenting them. It seems to have worked. Now none of it will render for reasons I can’t figure out… ugh!

Unfortunately I don’t have any solution, but had the exact same problem, in that I can parent the light source to the shade bone, which does move the lamp beam as you play with it in Pose mode, but on rendering there is no light coming from the lamp! To make this even worse, I also had a circle inside the lamp which was emitting light and made it look more lightbulb like. Once I’d joined that to the vertex group it completely disappeared.

Not at all happy with this section - it all worked fine before re-rigging now it’s broken. I think I’m going to have to give up for now and move on.

Privacy & Terms