How to make a child actor inherit control rotation?

I don’t know if this is fixed later or is a local problem for me, but after adding the child actor component, my pawns can no longer aim up or down, or otherwise get pitch input from the controller (not exactly sure how this is supposed to work).

Previously I could aim downwards clearnly after attaching my camera to a head socket on begin play.

But in this video’s version of the character, the controller no longer seems to effect the pitch of the gun or the animation, with this result:

^controller can no longer effect pitch

I am a litlte confused as to how this pitch was effected to begin with, since we did not setup this character from scratch, rather borrowing a default setup from the Animation Starter Pack.

Come to think of it, i realize the animation pitch is effected by the pitch value we added… For some reason this value isn’t effecting the animation anymore perhaps… weird.

One problem with debugging this is that when I try to print strings from my animation event graph, nothing is printed inside running functions.

^Nothing getting printed despite pitch working on simulated pawn.

Ok I don’t know how i didn’t notice before, but the pitch IS being printed to the log, but not the screen.(even tho print to screen is true)

So after testing this, for some reason the animation blueprint is failing to fetch both the camera and controller pitch from the new version of our character

The reason why it wasn’t working is because I kept my old version of the character before making a new one instructed to be made by the lecture.

This in turn caused the new character’s animation blueprint to fail to read the values specific to this blueprint, from when I fetched the camera object after casting it to the specific character type requested by the animation blueprint, similar to the way it was done originally in this blueprint by default.

It is a shame it cannot fetch objects of identical names and types, because I sloppily made this solution for it:

^ I make cases for both types of character blueprint to read the values from.

It is hard to think of a clean solution to properly make the animation blueprint work for two characters of similar properties like this. Maybe have one be a child of the previous character so that the cast would hopefully always pass and be able to read shared values. You could perhaps instead use the successful cast to set a value of the original character, but then unfortunately without making one a child I would expect that it wouldn’t allow you to set the new character as the old character type.

Come to think of it I could also try telling it to do the same actions if the cast failed anyway, but then I think that the output pin would be set to null and not fetch values, or in c++ would crash. But for the sake of sanity i’m not going to try this now.

Privacy & Terms