How to make a barrel

i dont know why ctrl b and mine be like this

1 Like

Hello and welcome to this forums.

I believe the issue you have is linked to the fact you probably have overlapping geometry. (Or so called doubles). In edit mode select all, than ā€œmerge by distanceā€ to combine overlapping geometry.
You are also beveling edges and not verts. Press ā€˜vā€™ to switch to Vertex mode. (But this might be what you want to do, so it depends on the result you want to achieve.)
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Lots of students hit this problem at this barrel lecture, and there are several already answered questions about it so it is always a good idea to check them for a possible quicker solution.

It is duplicate geometry.
Edit mode, Select all with A, then press M for merge, selecting ā€˜by distanceā€™.
That usually fixes up the issue. If not a more close examination of the verts may be needed to find the doubles.

This merges away the duplicates.

Explanation.

Probably they were created by canceling an extrusion.
When you start an extrusion, pressing E, new geometry is created immediately.
Then it waits for an instruction of where to move it to.
If, as many do, For some reason you escape or right click etc to cancel the tool, perhaps to think more about the next move, it only cancels the next movement part of the E extrude you instructed, not the first instant part of the new geometry creation.

This is also why the merge by distance sorts it out. As the new geometry never got told to move anywhere, it is sitting right on top of the geometry it was created from. It is why you are not aware of it as well! There can be other signs like ā€˜hashingā€™ if whole faces are fighting for the same exact space.

If aware you are canceling a started extrusion, also do a Ctrl Z, undo. That undoes the first pressing of E, the creation of the geometry.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms