How to control the point of origin in transformations?

Hi there!

How can I control the point of origin in transformations? For example, in Lesson 6 - Transforms, around 2:20 minutes, the square is scaled in the Z axis, from the center to top and simultaneously from the center to down; but what I want is to maintain the bottom at the same place and just scale the square from the center to the top.

Thanks in advance.

Gil Carlos Volpato
Bom Retiro (SC), Brasil

In EDIT mode, you can select a vertice or face and aligns your 3D cursor with that using shift s. Use the set origin to 3D cursor.

Or just select the face press ‘g’ for grab and ‘z’ for z-ax WORLD. Pressing ‘z’ twice (‘gzz’) you are using the local ax.

But if you do need something more dynamical as in animations. You should use EMPTIES and parent them to objects. Will be explained in the course.

Another way.

Put the cursor at the point that you want to have the scaling work from. Then select the cursor as the point of origin for operations. Via the ‘transformation pivot point’ To the right of the word Global, probably set by default to individual origins. Use the drop down to change it to 3Dcursor. I highlighted the icon in the second image.

So with the cursor in the middle it works as you describe equal growth either side of the centre. Image constrained to Z axis. Both cursor and origin point are at the centre of the cube.

If you put the cursor at the bottom of your object, all the scaling growth will be above it. ( I deliberately went and moved the origin point too first, just to show clearly it is operating from the cursor placement.)
I put the cursor at the bottom by using edit mode, selecting the base face, Shift S, Cursor to selected.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I want to personally take the time here to thank @NP5 and @FedPete here as i was taken out with the coronavirus and so have been reduced services here.

I am now recovered and feeling a lot better and from Monday i will be getting back on top of things.

You two have been an ENORMOUS help to me constantly helping the community and i just really wanted to make a point of thanking you myself and on the behalf of gamedev.tv :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thank you and I hope you recover well from this disease!

It’s just because of having fun on these forums. And still learning from others.
So many creative people around here in all degrees.

Pieter.

1 Like

Ty get well soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms