How much should I really be understanding in this lecture?

So, I feel like in this lecture-and it seems others are feeling this way-we jumped WAY ahead. How much are we really supposed to be taking away from these lectures before moving onto the next one? As someone who has ZERO coding experience, it seems like I’m expected to know and understand a lot that was either not mentioned at all, or was mentioned in passing many lectures ago. I wasn’t able to complete the challenge for this one on my own, like at all. I’ve completed the others pretty well. Should I be going back and re-watching all the lectures to see if I missed something or need to take further notes? Or will this all become more clear in future lessons? I’m just sort of making my way through the course waiting for it all to click…

Advice is appreciated!

It should get clearer after a while. I had to re-watch some lectures (not just from this course) multiple times before knowing how these concepts work. With practice you will get there. As Ben mentioned it’s like a big picture that is really fuzzy and every time you learn one concept it gets clearer. It’s normal to find it confusing right away. Then I take what I learn and try to make something of my own and get stuck often in the code but each time I find it easier to get unstuck. I’m still not great at programming but feel like I’m getting there slowly. Just don’t give up, my best advice is that each time you learn something, to try to make something that even if you know won’t be a great game, will be at least functional but will also be showing yourself what you understand so far.

4 Likes

Yeah, I started to struggle here. I understood the concepts as they were presented (somewhat) but as you said with the challenge I hit a brick wall. The problem I’m having is knowing where I should actually be writing the code (actually my solution wasn’t too far from Rick’s, but I wrote it in totally the wrong place) and also just knowing things like using semi-colons or closed brackets etc. It’s a lot to take in. I think as Emmanual_Bolduc, and Rick has also said, it should get easier. Maybe just re-watch this whole lecture one more time and every time he says I word that you forget you can look it up again? Or watch his solution, start the class again, then try it again by yourself the second time? I think this course is definitely taught well, but the content is challenging so it definitely requires some hard work from us :slight_smile: And hey, that’s why there’s a community right!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms