How low poly is low poly with regards to performance?

Speaking generally in terms of game development, how low poly is low poly?

Towards the end of this course, it felt like we were being a bit generous with the polygons. Are we still well within the bounds of “low poly” with regards to performance or are we pushing it towards the end?

Are there certain numbers to aim for in terms of low poly character models? Any rules of thumb when doing low poly modeling for video games?

Great course, by the way. Learned much more than I thought I would, even after taking the low poly landscapes course. Thanks.

3 Likes

There is no rule!
This question has asked many times. Use the search function .

Basically, the number of the minimal vertices to get a good, recognizable shape, is the low poly version.
you only need four vertices to show a cube, far far away. The closer the object gets, the more polygons (vertices) you need to produce to make it good. Like the cube, close by you need 8 vertices.

So it depends, how you use your model. This technique is also called the level of detail. Used when building modules.

1 Like

Sadly as FedPete says there is no simple answer. It depends. On the game, the platform the importance of the model, etc. I suspect it it something the games engine courses will give better ideas of what is useable for particular situations, game types, mobile or non mobile, etc.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms