How in lecture cube(0,0) have a block_Enemy asset without breaking the prefab?

How in Rick’s design, cube(0,0) of the world have a block_Enemy asset instead of block_Friendly asset without breaking the cube prefab?
I am at a later stage in this project and noticed that for them changes to the cube prefab automatically apply to this cube(0,0) as well even though it has different voxel asset applied to it compared to the prefab.
Are they manually updating the cube(0,0) actually but it is not shown or said so in the lecture video?
OR
Is there something I am missing?

Hi Dhruv,

You can either change the prefab and have the changes applied to all connected game objects, or you can change a game object which is connected to a prefab manually. In that case, the changes will not apply automatically to the prefab or any other game objects.

If you drag and drop the modified game object into your Assets folder, you get a new prefab.

Hi Nina,
If we make changes to a game object manually does it not break it’s connection to the prefab?

What Rick is having is a cube instance with the blue voxel asset (Block_Enemy) and the prefab that cube is connected to has the yellow voxel asset (Block_Friendly). All other cube instances have the yellow voxel asset same as the prefab.
When I tried to replace the voxel asset from yellow to blue (deleted yellow and added blue) in one of my cube instances, that cube instance’s connection to the prefab was broken. But in Rick’s design, that cube instance is still having the connection to the prefab intact.
How is that achieved?

For that particular parts you change, it breaks the connection. However, you can either revert the changes or apply them to the prefab via the Overrides button in the Inspector. The connection to the prefab is not completely lost.

Which version of Unity do you use? If it’s 2018.3, you are using Unity’s new prefab system. Things work and look slighly different there.

Understood thanks!
I’m using unity 2018.2.6

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms