How do you get your rocks (with pbr materials) into Unity?

Is there any way to get my rocks + my created pbr materials into unity? If I just export it as .fbx and import it in unity (+ drag all the textures in) I just get like a brown color which is like the base color of the albedo texture but without any actual texture on it. Is it because Unity doesnt understand the texture mapping we did and Unity uses a UV map? Is this whole thing useful for game dev then or is it just for rendering in blender and I have to find a way to create those materials in Unity?
Or am I just a step too far and everything gets explained in like a couple of lectures or at the end of the course?

1 Like

There is some reference in the courses to exporting to game engines but fundamentally these are Blender courses not any one particular game engine ones.
It might be better to ask on the game engine courses, how do I get this in here from Blender. As there are likely to be a lot more people who have done it than on a Blender course.

I created this post underneath a lecture from the ‘Blender Environment Artist: Create 3D Game Worlds’ course. Sorry if it’s at the wrong place, I might have done something wrong.
I thought as this course is titled ‘Create 3D Game Worlds’ there would be an obvious way that I just overlooked.

Importing blender models is easy as just dropping .blend file into Unity window (into your assets folder). Mind that you will get entire blender scene with lights and cameras. Alternatively, you can export FBX from blender - it is very simmilar, as Unity just uses blender as plugin to convert .blend file to fbx. (You need to have blender installed to have this work.) FBX lets you easily check what you want to export, and default values work for current blender and current Unity.

but as for the materials… As far as i know it is not an easy task. Because Blender has completely different rendering engine than Unity, Unity needs to remap all the parameters to shaders written for Unity. Some sources say, it is only possible to convert base color. PBR uses different algorithms both in Blender (cycles and eevee) and in Unity renderers. Best way is I think to create material straight in Unity, as it will look different anyway. You’d also need to remap all maps (normal, roughness, metallic etc)
But, there is in theory a way to get matrerials, here is a Unity manual section about it

but it didnt really work for me…

Here is some more info:

And also there is a Blender plugin that supports it, but I have no idea if it really works:

From my perspective, it is better to use Unity to create materials anyway. Unity rendering pipelines are quite confusing between themselves, and adding blender pipeline to the mix is another complication.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms