How do you delete a class if it has children?

If there are other classes inheriting from the class you want to delete, and if these child classes are actively in use in the world, how do you delete said class?

Do you have to also delete every child class and all of their instances? Can you refactor those child classes to inherit from the next class up?

Hi Advent,

Are you in one of our Unity courses or in the Unreal Engine course? I’m asking because I do not recognise the tag of your thread.

How embarrassing, I had put the tag as a Unity question, thanks for pointing that out to me!

Don’t worry. That happens very often here. We have been trying to figure out why this happens for months. Did a link bring you here? If so, which one?

Well I can’t guarantee it’s the same for every case but if I’m completely honest, it was my own silly mistake! When I was selecting the category, I just saw something gamedevelopmenty beginning with ‘U’ and assumed I had the right thing, hahaha.

Imgur

That’s fine. I asked because we have a link to the forum in each lecture (at least, that’s the case for the Unity courses), and it could have been that the link was pointing to the wrong subforum. I’m glad it’s not. :slight_smile:

@DanM, could you answer @Advent’s questions?

You should reparent those before deleteing the class they’re inheriting from.

Privacy & Terms