How do I give the terrain a basic colour?

Hi, I have a question. I made an terrain and I would like the basic colour to be a simple green, the same colour as the mountains (see picture). The only problem is that the mountains have a material and not a texture. I searched around and found a bit about building custom terrain shaders, but I wondered if there is an easier way than doing this. Can i convert a material to a texture for example? Or is there an terrain texture where I just can make it a basic colour?

ca130bde9a687c970718401fb2c97bfa

Hi Paula,

I’m afraid I did not understand your question. Can’t you assign the material that you used for the mountains to the terrain (the plane?)?

Every mesh has got a material, and each material is “linked” to a shader. Otherwise, we would not be able to see anything because the mesh is invisible data. Whether the material supports textures or solid colours only depends on the shader. With this in mind, create a material and test different shaders. See the dropdown menu in the Inspector of the material.

1 Like

Im sorry, this might be really easy and I’m really being silly, but I’m really not sure where i would assign the material to the terrain. I can see how to add textures in the inspector, but not materials. Dragging the material to the terrain in the sceneview or hierarchy also does not work. Could you please point me in the right direction, which steps should I take? I would be really thankful!

Try to drag and drop the material into the Inspector of the terrain game object. The current material should be at the bottom of your Inspector.

1 Like

Im trying to drag the material to the inspector, but it doesn’t work. Do I have the wrong type of material? or the wrong screen? many thanks for helping me out!

Never Mind, I Am silly, I found where to do it! Thank you for being patient with me:)!

I’m glad you found the solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I guess it didn’t work. Or, at least now I cannot paint textures on the terrain anymore because its not the right type of shader. And I really wanted to paint some textures. But I made an costum texture in paint and used that, and that worked:)! Thanks:)

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms