How do I create my own HDRI's?

I don’t know if anybody else has asked this question, but for my first time getting into 3D modeling, immediately, that’s my first question. I want to know, do I have to use a real-world camera? Or could I create my own HDRI in Art Apps like Krita or Adobe?
Where and How do I get into learning about this stuff? I’m hoping for either direct answers or being forwarded to links, pages, tutorials, etc. Anything to start a new path of education.

Thanks in advance for the support.

2 Likes

Hi! I had the same question, and here is an article which led me to conclude that it would take more work than I was prepared to do for now :laughing:

https://blog.polyhaven.com/how-to-create-high-quality-hdri/

I also didn’t find anything too detailed with Krita, but perhaps I didn’t look hard enough.

1 Like

Not sure how to best answer this question.
In Blender you can use the shader area, set to world and enable “Use Nodes” to make your own HDRI within Blender. You’ll want mix some emission shaders in for your lighting.
Photoshop does have a feature to merge photos to an HDR, but I have no experience with this.
But typically it uses photos of real places so that it can have realistic environment lighting.
@ZachDude Krita is an HDR capable image software, but I don’t believe it has quick or easy wayto map out an HDRI to be used in 3D software.

3 Likes

Welcome to this site.

Right in with the difficult questions!

Google Street View phone ap. Will take photo spheres. Ok they are not true HDRIs.
Or make them of something you build in Blender as mentioned.

I have seen the latest version of Meshroom should do it. Not tried it.

Otherwise, it is really complicated in other image software needing you to take good photos of the site and bracketed exposures of each shot. Ideally using a pano head on a tripod.

You can use a self taken Google street view image that gets seen in a render as the world, but a different real HDRI actually lighting the scene.

It is hard enough getting the photos all done, it would seem nice at least if there was a program once you hav=d them you could just drop them in and let it do the rest!

1 Like

What are you planning to do?

If this is your first steps in 3D then I would keep it simple. And just learn Blender.
But your question about HDRI, suspects more understanding of 3D?
What is your interest in HDRI ?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms