How can I stop player rig from rotating the 'long way around'

I’ve tried redoing the key frames several times but alright seem to get the effect whereby when I want the player rig to do an approximate 90 degree turn clockwise, it will instead opt for a 270 degree turn counter clockwise to match the next key frame.

Here is a massively bloated gif demonstrating what I mean.

Any ideas? :sunny:

I just found the same problem, I tried adding new key frames in between the two positions, but the ship would still turn the other way around.

So… I’ll try solving it later, but if somebody has a good answer, that would be great!

Doesn’t seem many people read or are active in these lecture specific boards.

I also had this problem and had to fix it by checking the rotation.y curve in the timeline, which shows a big deviation when you add a new key. When this happens, you can drag the rotation.y position in the transform to add or remove 360 degrees to pull the curve back into line and turn correctly.

As to why it does it, I’ve no idea.

Also, I noticed there’s been an update in the way the lecture videos play, so you can only access the resources tab while the video is playing and not when its finished… Maybe that’s why there is less activity here.

Yeah there is some weird goings on, I’ve also been tweaking the rotation.y but it can get damn frustrating when it starts messing up keys.

To be honest i’ll be glad when this section is over, have not enjoyed it all due to the janky camera issues and now this. Maybe they should move the player on a timeline to the start to replace the original circuit section and go into the timeline a lot more.

Try adding additional key frames in the middle of those two problem keys. This should break up the rotation and hopefully force it to turn in the correct direction. I’m sure there’s a better way of fixing it , but that method has stopped it for me in the past.

This was the first thing I tried, no success :frowning:

Also getting this, got used to dragging the yellow line up :frowning:

The solution I used for this is to open the animation for the player rig, right click the rotation line and set interpolation type to Quaternion. Euler angle interpolation tends to get some turns wrong.

9 Likes

This is a common problem I had as well. @Lauri_Ilvas I will try your solution, thank you.

For those getting frustrated by the jerky camera: fear not! It’s a placeholder for later in the section when everything is smoothed out using the timeline!

OMG FINALLY.
Thanks Lauri_livas !
I’ve been stuck at this for like 3 days because I couldn’t figure it out, but setting it to quaternion fixes it.
Feel like this should have been pointed out clearly in the video’s.

@ lauri_livas you’re my hero, thanks!
i havent completed this course yet, but i think cinemachines dolly track would be much better for this i think.

Mah man!! Cheers bro!

If others find theyre still having a problem after (or before) the quaternion setting attempt, try selecting all of your keyframes (position and rotation), right-click to try different interpolations, Auto or Clamped Auto for starters.

For the drastic cases (where your quaternion has switched the axis its angle’ing around on you based on its best guess from your Euler) , just popping open the curve editor and finding the ****** as someone suggested is about straight fwd and sure fire way of fixing as any. I found the auto interpolate to treat me pretty well though

I just came across the same thing a couple minutes ago. Try switching from Pivot to Center at the top.

God bless you, Lauri

This fixed it for me! Should be marked as the solution for this thread.

Privacy & Terms